4 Replies - 1566 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please test my chatbot (now with proof of my sincerity)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

NOTE: My last topic was locked because people were suspicious that this could be malware. I of course completely understand those suspicions and should have gone to greater lengths to prove my good intentions. I have removed the Emailer class from the .jar, which was simply a failsafe that attempted to send me the results in case the user failed to do so. I did not reveal that the program could do this because, honestly, I was afraid it wouldn't work, and then users would not bother to email me because they thought the program could do it automatically. Please read this forum thread, where a poster scanned the .jar, found it safe, and then two posters ran it with no side-effects.

I apologize for coming off as suspicious when I first posted, but I am desperate and am in genuine need of help. If you would give me a second chance I would be honored. Here is my original post:

I wrote a very primitive chatbot for a school project, but I need at least thirty people to test it before Monday. Can I ask you to take five minutes to download the program <Removed> and test it? Simply follow the instructions below. Thank you for your help!

1. <Removed> from SourceForge. Both "ChatbotExperiment.jar" and "memory.chat" must be placed in the same folder for the program to work. I suggest creating an empty folder for the files.

2. Run "ChatbotExperiment.jar" (you must have Java installed) and follow the on-screen instructions. Talk to the chatbot until it has replied 25 times (it replies almost instantly so this will be a very short conversation).

3. Participate in the short survey that appears after the conversation is over. Entering your gender and age is NOT required, but it is appreciated as it will help me gather data for my project. If you do not feel comfortable sending me the results with your personal email address, you may paste the complete results to this thread, though I can assure you I will not save any of your email addresses and I will not distribute them to anyone else.

I'm very grateful for any participation I receive. Please take a short amount of time to help out a beginning computer science student.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 26 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please test my chatbot (now with proof of my sincerity)

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please test my chatbot (now with proof of my sincerity)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

I told you very clearly in PM after you asked if you could repost this:

NO. This site does not promote the use of 'bots for any purpose.

And still you post this. Are you WANTING to get banned from this site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Regrettably, I have to repeat my previous warning: it is never safe to run code from an unknown source unless you're in a position to compile it yourself from source code that you can personally validate, or you have a chain of trust back to such a validation.

I have no reason to suspect this particular user of any shenanigans, but I do not recommend that anyone violate this basic rule of personal security even if the person asking you to do so seems nice and harmless.

I personally would only run code of this sort on a scrapbook - something not connected to the web which I would be able to wipe afterwards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'm in agreement. I'm going to close this thread and remove the links. An Applet or web service would really be the best way to go if you want people to demo your program. Or post code that members can compile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have to disagree a little bit with my Klingon colleague on one point: looking at the chat history, the ostensible program here is basically an Eliza - this is a re-creation of one of the first really impressive bits of software, and as such is absolutely worth doing. As a topic of discussion in the java forum, this would be great.

The only real problem I see is in asking people to run compiled java on their home machines. That's a no-go, from a security standpoint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1