What's the one thing...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1508 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What's the one thing...

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'm taking a physc class. My professor claims that most life changing experiences take place when you are ten years of age or younger. A few of us challenged his claim. Now we have a month to prove our case challenge. He does like to be challenged so. I think he gets a kick out of it. We have to document every response, no matter your age when the experience occurred. I'd like to ask you what you feel is the single most life changing experience you have had in your life and why you feel it was profound enough to change you. Be it a divorce, your cat died before you were old enough to understand death, a friend saving your life, whatever. I would also like to ask about what age you were when this experience took place. I see from reading this forum you get a lot of humorous comments and that's fine, but please put a sincere comment as well. I get graded on this. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's the one thing...

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's the one thing...

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

The problem here is that even though the biggest life-changing event in my life was after the age of 10, I can't really challenge the claim that most life-changing events come before ten. One example per person is not really enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Dogstopper  Icon User is online

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

In general, I feel that most of my life-changing events hapeened when I was in high school and most recently in college. For the most part as a kid, my life was pretty uneventful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

While what happens when you are younger molds who you become, life events happen after ten. Look in to psychology studies from reputable publication for your study, not on a forum where the information is not vetable.

As a side not, your professor probably enjoys being challenged because the class is creating more work for itself than is required without his interference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

Have you prof prove to you what life changing experiences happen before 10! The only thing I can really think of is when your young, you touch something hot, you will most likely learn from that and never touch a hot pot again. You taste something bad, you won't eat it again; stuff like that. Things that changed my life could not ever happen before 10. Joining the Marines -> Life changing. Having to shoot someone -> MAJOR life changing. Getting an awesome job -> Life changing. Falling in love and getting married -> life changing. Having children -> life changing. When you are older, you come across more things day to day, that will/can have a profound affect on your life, mentally, physically, emotionally, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

You prof's claim sounds suspiciously specific. Ten? Not nine, or eleven?

I suspect that you could make a case for this if you tried, but it would be a little dodgy. As GunnerInc says, there's a lot of life-changing that happens throughout your life, and you'd really like it to be that way. A life that isn't changing steadily over time sounds like it wouldn't be very interesting to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

View Postxclite, on 26 January 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

The problem here is that even though the biggest life-changing event in my life was after the age of 10, I can't really challenge the claim that most life-changing events come before ten. One example per person is not really enough.

I would agree with you if this were going to be some data used for the "shrinks of the world assoc" but it's for class, and the outcome just doesn't matter. The whole purpose of the exercise was when you make a challenge, back it up, and that the professor wants and welcome the debates. I can interview students, knock on doors, go to the mall... which I have done before, and will do again. Believe it or not, not a lot of experts have data like this to go on. They have opinions. We expressed our opinions and now are given the chance to prove it (one a class level).

This post has been edited by Night Stalker: 26 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well if you want to pull out logic you could always say that every decision you make changes your life in some respect and that the fact that the average age of most people is into their 70s, that means incidents that happen to you at 10 years of age and under really only amount to 1/7 of the overall life changing events you will experience.

But I find it a bold statement to say that 10 years or under is the most life changing since many of our milestones in life actually occur after that age. High school, driving, adulthood, becoming parents, marriage, deaths of loved ones, mid life crisis (discovering our true identity), old age and coming to realize our mortality and pending death etc.

But whatever, I found classes like that to be thought experiments and asking a bunch of logical thinkers like programmers, you probably won't get too far with it.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

If you want to argue with someone's claim, it's important to understand it first. I'm pretty sure I don't understand what your professor wants to mean with this claim, so I wouldn't be able to argue it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

POPULAR

AH HAH!!! A life changing experience when I was under 10... When I became potty trained and didn't have to crap in my pants. Man, did that change my life FOREVER!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

To answer this question some clarification I would like
what's the definition of "life changing" to you and your Psych?
Why pick 10, such an arbitrary number to choose
And why choose us, to act as your muse?

To answer in general the question you posit,
I'm going to break from the rhyme scheme
and get to the point I promise,
I'll talk, don't leave the screen.

Ummm, not sure why i broke into ryhme, just happened. Points raised still count though.

I'd say that events prior to 10 (or just that age) help form our personality. The ones after help refine it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostGunnerInc, on 26 January 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

AH HAH!!! A life changing experience when I was under 10... When I became potty trained and didn't have to crap in my pants. Man, did that change my life FOREVER!!!

I'm 30 and still haven't fully solved this problem. fml

@OP

The best you're going to get here are anecdotes, and the plural of anecdote is not data. I'll tell you, the event that changed my life most for me happened when I was 22.

I would suggest getting on EBSCOE or the like and seeing what you can find to refute his claim - or challenging him to support his claim since he's shifted the burden of proof to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:52 AM

Ten years or younger... damn, kids hit puberty early these days! :P

Reasonably, it's the traumatic stuff that leaves nice deep scars, um, is life changing. Death, loss, injury. Less dramatic but equally traumatic for a kid is any serious change of venue, like moving.

I feel down a flight of steps and snapped my left arm in two around the age of six. They thought I mightn't use it again, but it works. I was in traction for several weeks. Still has a funky bend in it. Lasting impression, that. But, life changing? Who knows?

Moving to Florida? Disney World? A new sister born? Swimming across a lake with alligators? Hotel fire? Several lost teddy bears? The time my cat ate my gerbil? And the next two times?

Calling a single experience life changing is censoring via hind site. We are the some total of all experiences. Any one thing is meaningless without all the things that went before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

My earliest life changing event was when I was 4 I had open heart surgery and died once. I was born with a hole in my heart and by the time I was 4 it was the size of a quarter. However my biggest life changing experience was when I was 20 (2 years ago), my daughter was born.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

I kinda agree with it. I mean you gotta think your are like as sponge before the age of 10 where you just absorb your surroundings in. Most psychosis can be tracked to the fundamental ages, as well as learned habits, and phobias.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +