Upgrading to Windows 8.1

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 1589 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Poll: Do you like Windows 8? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like Windows 8?

1. Yes, I like it. (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. Eh, it's okay... (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. No, I do not like it. (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Upgrading to Windows 8.1

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 05 February 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

And forget about trying to hit the small target in the top left corner to bring up the charms bar to get to to the settings to get to the Control Panel only to find that the settings you need to modify is in the other Control Panel exposed by the desktop. I think I spend more time fighting/fiddling with the UI than actually getting work done.

... you mean Windows + I? As I said--the shortcuts for Windows 8 are fantastic and will end up being your best friend in the longhaul.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 06 February 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Have you tried managing multiple servers running Windows 2012 and all you have is mRemoteNG or Remote Desktop and non-touch screen computer? It's a major pain specially when the servers are configured to your IT departments security admins to bring you back to to the login screen after 5 minutes of inactivity. And forget about trying to hit the small target in the top left corner to bring up the charms bar to get to to the settings to get to the Control Panel only to find that the settings you need to modify is in the other Control Panel exposed by the desktop. I think I spend more time fighting/fiddling with the UI than actually getting work done.

:o Wow that sounds like a nightmare. Never thought about it in that context.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostLieoften, on 06 February 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 05 February 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

And forget about trying to hit the small target in the top left corner to bring up the charms bar to get to to the settings to get to the Control Panel only to find that the settings you need to modify is in the other Control Panel exposed by the desktop. I think I spend more time fighting/fiddling with the UI than actually getting work done.

... you mean Windows + I? As I said--the shortcuts for Windows 8 are fantastic and will end up being your best friend in the longhaul.

Sadly, Win-I does not work in mRemoteNG. Nor does it work Remote Desktop when I am not running full screen -- which is most of the time since I'm trying to manage multiple servers at the same time.

Thanks for the tip though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Windows 7 (and all earlier versions) already have a large collection of keyboard shortcuts, so I don't see this as a particular advantage of Windows 8.

Ctrl-Shift-Esc - show Task Manager
Windows-Key, E - Windows Explorer

and many others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 06 February 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

Windows 7 (and all earlier versions) already have a large collection of keyboard shortcuts, so I don't see this as a particular advantage of Windows 8.

I might be a bit biased because I jumped from XP to 8. I loved XP when it first came out but as of 2012, the thing had started to grind down--at least in my opinion. Granted, I did lose the abbility to play Myst. which kinda irritates me. but in the grand scheme of things it's no great lose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

View Postdepricated, on 27 January 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

and if it's nto bad enough that I can't figure out which screen is currently the primary (because it changes, somehow, as you go)

Windows 8 did it differently. There is no 'primary' monitor. Your 'primary' monitor is the one that you're operating within. It's a completely different understanding of how the base windows manager works. That's why it 'changes as you go,' because you are working in different monitors and it can recognize and react to that.

Some people hate it. I happen to like it because it means I can still open the start menu on another monitor without interrupting skyrim on my other monitor.

skydiver said:

Have you tried managing multiple servers running Windows 2012 and all you have is mRemoteNG or Remote Desktop and non-touch screen computer? It's a major pain specially when the servers are configured to your IT departments security admins to bring you back to to the login screen after 5 minutes of inactivity. And forget about trying to hit the small target in the top left corner to bring up the charms bar to get to to the settings to get to the Control Panel only to find that the settings you need to modify is in the other Control Panel exposed by the desktop. I think I spend more time fighting/fiddling with the UI than actually getting work done.

I admit that there are some parts of Windows 8 that make it a pain to use on remote desktop, but I won't admit that you can't get beyond them. If your issue is the charms bars, then go to the bottom right corner of the screen. That's what I do. It tends to work better. Otherwise, I don't have any issue with Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device using remote desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

I still like Windows 7 and will stick with it until Windows 9 is released. No reason other than Windows 7 is what
I have to work with. The metro system is not attractive for me, maybe if I had a touch screen I would feel different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

So I can't find the CNN article on it , but they are releasing windows 9 next year due to windows 8 bombing. Here is the Tech Radar Article on it though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +