• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 2150 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cheers! Favorite Drink Recipe?

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

I heard Sunny D and whipped cream flavored vodka is amazing together, like creamcicles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Almost anything can be improved with whipped cream vodka. That stuff is the amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sweet liquors give me the spits...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

The spits?

They make you mucus-y? WTF is the spits?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Jameson 2 ways:

• In a shot glass
  • In a regular glass

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#36 depricated  Icon User is online

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 27 January 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Posth4nnib4l, on 27 January 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I still think the most effective drinking game is taking a shot every time someone pops off a cool line in Tombstone. "You gonna do something, or you just gonna stand there and bleed?" is the last line I remember drinking to...

What's with the games? Drinking is serious business!

(the way I look at it, if you have to make a game out of it to get a drink down your neck you're probably not really interested)

mine spawned because my roommate handed me a glass of tequila and I was like "ya whatever" but I dislike tequila
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

When I used to drink liquor I loved jager by itself. Just shot after shot. I got incredibly sick the last time I drank liquor so now I only drink beer. Wow writing that out makes me realize that's insanely weird that I haven't had liquor in 3 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 27 January 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

The spits?

They make you mucus-y? WTF is the spits?

That's just what we've always called it when you're drunk and think you might puke, but you're fighting it so you just start spitting...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 27 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Jameson 2 ways:

• In a shot glass
  • In a regular glass

I just tried Jameson's for the first time this last month. That's a really good "sipping whiskey".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

As for mixed drinks, Margarita's are about the only mixed drink that I've ever really done much. I couldn't even tell you when the last time I had a mixed drink that wasn't a margarita. Of course Tex-Mex food and margaritas are pretty big down here in Texas.

Anyway, I learned to make "good" margaritas. I basically follow the hand made margaritas recipe from the bartender's black book except I substitute most of the ingredients.

The key is good fresh squeezed lime juice and a decent tequila. Depending on how much tequila you use, you may not even taste the tequila. Patron or Don Julio añejo works very well, but a cheaper tequila may work if you don't get so much that you can taste it. But the key is ripe limes that have almost the sweetness of an orange. Then you substitute Grand Mariner for the triple sec and agave nectar for the sugar (going a little light on the agave necter since it is a bit more sweet than sugar). Serve on the rocks with the rim of the glass salted with Kosher salt and a slice of lime or lemon for decoration.

If you use Don Julio añejo, you may be tempted to just skip the other ingredients.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 28 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostBBeck, on 28 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Postsupersloth, on 27 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Jameson 2 ways:

• In a shot glass
  • In a regular glass

I just tried Jameson's for the first time this last month. That's a really good "sipping whiskey".

There are pleasures beyond Jamie's awaiting you, my friend. Not to knock it, but it's really an entry-level whiskey. There's lots of headroom, let's just put it that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Well, I'm not sure I have tried everything out there, but I've tried quite a few of them. I've only had a couple of shots of Jameson's Irish Wiskey, but I was pretty impressed. I think I might prefer it over Maker's Mark, Gentleman Jack, or any of the other's I've tried.

What might you suggest? I might go try it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

For Irish whiskeys, Jamie's and Powers are the two baseline standards. Try Knappogue Castle and see where that gets you.
For American whiskeys, there's a lot of choices but Woodford Reserve is a good one. I prefer Blanton's, in that range. If you want a reasonable American whiskey for a mid-shelf price, Redemption Rye is nice, and there are several other drinkable bottles in the same line. Also worth trying is the Bully Boy white whiskey - it's not aged in oak, which means it has a completely different sort of flavor. Much cleaner, I find, and really its own thing. Also reasonably priced. You can go up in price, of course, but then you're talking about a lot of personal experimentation. One way to go about that is to just go to the liquor store once a month and buy a bottle that looks interesting, whether you need to or not. Maintaining a shelf, I find, is really the only way to get a sense of what you like. (you may need to put a bottle or two of known favorites on the shelf to start with - you want to build up some diversity there over time, so you don't want to kill that bottle before the next trip to the bottle shop)

If you want to talk about Scotch, that's another topic altogether - especially since that market is in a real turmoil right now, and there seems to be a lot going on that I can't see. Certainly there's a lot of new labels, and there aren't a lot of new distilleries, so it's clear to me that there's a lot of people buying up production from existing distilleries and either aging it themselves or buying aged product and putting their own labels on it. This is very confusing, and means that my recommendations here are probably not very reliable any more, since what I tried four years ago and liked may have changed completely since then. Basically, labels are becoming much less reliable than they used to be due to the very weird market pressures resulting from current economic conditions and the idiosyncracies of the Scotch market. As liquor has become even more of a fashion statement than ever, you get people buying by brand reputation, meaning it's a profitable move to buy some distillery's label (naming no names since I have no solid facts here) and put some sub-standard crap in the bottles. Since brand reputation take a while to degrade, you get to sell cheap stuff at top prices for a while. Another trend is a rise in demand for blended Scotches, which means that a brand like Johnny Walker is buying up more production from smaller distilleries. This affects production in complex ways, which are hard to analyze.

So Scotch is difficult, and it may be that all of this ends up destroying most of the established distilleries. This will all settle out, but since Scotch is a long-term business, it might be a decade or two before that happens. (in fact, if we see a retrenchment in the industry, that's pretty much guaranteed, since eight years is pretty much the minimum for tolerable Scotch - so if someone moves into the Loch Whatsit distillery tomorrow, you won't see any of their product until 2022 at the earliest... ugh, that's a sad thought)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Interesting.

I'll have to give some of those a try.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 28 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 28 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

There are pleasures beyond Jamie's awaiting you, my friend. Not to knock it, but it's really an entry-level whiskey. There's lots of headroom, let's just put it that way.

that's true! but jameson is also both 1. cheap, in relative bar terms. 2. available everywhere. which is why it's my old standby.

lately i've taken to bulleit bourbon
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +