4 Replies - 540 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2014 - 09:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ColdFusion Compatibility

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

Hi I need some help. I am just wondering is there a compatibility problem with ColdFusion and the Samsung 3 Tablet? I got a developer to build me something and he built it in ColdFusion but for some reason the page I want to open wont open on a Samsung 3 Tablet. We have 3 Tablets but the page just loads half way and then stops. The page opens up fine on iphone, desktop etc and it worked at the start on the Samsung Tablet but not anymore! I am just really confused.
The link is mooyd.net/edit and I would appreciate any help or feedback as the developer doesn't understand either. Would it have anything to do with Hosting? It is hosted with Hostek.

Thanks guys

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ColdFusion Compatibility

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ColdFusion Compatibility

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi AdamRooney and welcome to DIC!

To make sure we understand: you have a CF driven site, it won't load in a browser on your Samsung 3 tablet and you asked "is there a compatibility problem with ColdFusion and the Samsung 3 Tablet" and "Would it have anything to do with Hosting".

To start, we'd need a little more info before going forward. I did open your site on my Chrome browser when I saw your post. It seemed to work fine for me (I got a login page anyway). So, first up: what browser are you using on your Samsung 3? The Samsung 3 is merely a device. When you're able to open your site on your desktop or iPhone what you're really doing is opening it with Internet Explorer/Firefox/Chrome/Safari (web browsers) on your desktop device. Most likely Safari on your iPhone. So, to start, what browser product are you using?

Secondly, you said "it worked at the start on the Samsung Tablet but not anymore" which indicates something either changed in the code being sent to the browser or a setting on the browser itself changed. This is actually good news because your developer might be able to back the code out to the point it was at when your tablet was able to bring up the site...and then slowly add the pieces back in, testing at each step of the way, until it breaks again...and then you should know what the issue is.

To answer your two specific questions: no, there is no compatibility issue between CF and a Samsung device and no, the issue isn't likely to be affected by the hosting provider. As matters happen, my wife has a Samsung 3 and she tests a CF project I'm working on with her tablet browser all the time for me. With everything that CF does behind the scenes (all the database access, data crunching, etc), in the end it delivers web consumable HTML code as the end product. That HTML can be accompanied by Javascript, CSS, and other web usable code objects but in general, there is nothing special about the product that CF delivers that would be difficult for a modern browser to digest. That said, I do have one theory for you and your dev.

I looked at the source of the HTML that's getting delivered to the browser. Your dev has quite a bit of Javascript running in there and some of it appears to be conditional per the browser being used (specifically whether it's Internet Explorer 8 or not). It is dynamically loading three foreign font types as well (which will be overhead for your users, BTW), loads the scripts for TinyMCE (an in-browser text editor which you're not using on your login page), is loading a Javascript framework called Bootstrap (to make your site accessible to mobile devices...possibly like a Samsung 3), another Javascript framework called jQuery and is also using CFFORM Javascript validation scripts. In short, there's a lot of competing Javascript being loaded. Any of that could be colliding with one another and perhaps causing your issue. Minus the view source from the browser you're using on your Samsung, it's impossible to tell for sure.

So, here's what I'd recommend for your developer. Determine which browser you're using on the Samsung. If it's Firefox or Chrome, they have some fairly robust developer tools and plugins. I'd focus my initial searches on the Javascript and see if any of that is erroring out. Second, if the site is working on your iPhone, consider downloading and installing Safari on your Samsung (there is a Safari version that runs on Android, your tablet's OS). If it works on Safari on your tablet then the issue is browser specific. There are options you can choose at that point. You can tell your users that your site is best accessed with a list of browsers/devices you've tested against. There are ways to detect what browser and OS the user is using so you could advise people who are using combos your site doesn't like to move to something they can use.

Long explanation short: it's not a CF issue, it's most likely a Javascript incompatibility with the native Android browser on Samsung 3 tablets, you should probably be able to easily solve the problem by downloading a browser for Android like Firefox, Chrome, etc.

Please feel free to post back here if none of that works for you or if you have any other questions.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Craig328: 27 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. It is very much appreciated. The browser the guys were using is Internet Explorer. I will try download Safari for Android and see does that work. I will also go back to the dev with the javascript issues you raised. I will try these different things and report back. Thanks a bunch again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Glad to be of some assistance.

I'd like to suggest something else though. This could help your issue somewhat. Consider asking your developer if some of those JS files can be included conditionally. That is, don't include things like the TinyMCE stuff unless the page being requested uses TinyMCE. The other stuff as well. If you detect the user is using a non-mobile device then the add of the Bootstrap library isn't needed. This is more of an efficiency suggestion than anything else. Yes, it's more work on the dev end, detecting what needs to be loaded and what doesn't but if you don't need to have the user's browser load a library it isn't going to use on that request then your site will load quicker and be more responsive.

It could be your site isn't built for that kind of discrimination in mind so it's just a suggestion.

Good luck and please, if you do manage to get your issue worked out, post your solution back here. Others would want to know how you got around it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

I will do for sure. Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1