13 Replies - 4354 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Art of War website officially released

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Attached Image

For the post 3-4 years I have been working on my own website called Art of War. It is an online board game website where users can design their own board games and play them online against people from around the globe. I've utilised phpBB as a community forums for players to catch up with one another, discuss the games, and take part in development of the site. Account registration is free, and players get to play up to 4 games at any one time for free. Later on there will be premium accounts to play unlimited games, but the site will always be free to play as an alternative.

I welcome any feedback on the site from DIC users, and encourage you to register an account, join in some games, and provide any critical feedback you can.

Kind Regards,
Kjartan

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 29 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Art of War website officially released

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Art of War website officially released

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

View Poste_i_pi, on 29 January 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

Attachment TitleBarVignette.png

For the post 3-4 years I have been working on my own website called Art of War. It is an online board game website where users can design their own board games and play them online against people from around the globe. I've utilised phpBB as a community forums for players to catch up with one another, discuss the games, and take part in development of the site. Account registration is free, and players get to play up to 4 games at any one time for free. Later on there will be premium accounts to play unlimited games, but the site will always be free to play as an alternative.

I welcome any feedback on the site from DIC users, and encourage you to register an account, join in some games, and provide any critical feedback you can.

Kind Regards,
Kjartan

It might just be that adblock is playing me wrong, but I don't see a link here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

I may not have posted a link initially woops :look:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:29 AM

wish i could see it but i am at work and cant
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

Title/header image doesn't take me back to 'home'.
--
The left hand menu seems to change spacing depending on the page.. the home has them spread out.. the 'registrer' and 'forums' have it condensed.. it may be due to not having functional pages there?
--

http://artofwar.cc/c...rd-games-online
Not Found

The requested URL /create-board-games-online was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
--

http://artofwar.cc/f...tegy-game-forum

Board index
Information

The forum you selected does not exist.

---

Why does 'registrar' take me to an empty page?
http://artofwar.cc/f...tegy-game-login

---

terms of use andprivacy policy should be in a footer on all pages (especially the home page), and not just in the login.
http://artofwar.cc/f....php?mode=login

---
It would do well to have screen shots of the game and setup.. you know.. so I don't have to register to see what I am about to hand over my information for..
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback modi, exactly what I wanted. I've shown it to family and friends, who know I have been working on it for years, and they either say 'Wow' or 'Looks great', not wanting to be critical I suppose.

All those issues are fixed up with the exception of the condensed/non-condensed links on the side menu. I'm having trouble tracking that one down. It's only a pixel difference per link, so I'm not too stressed about it, but it is something that needs to be addressed at some point.

Most of those issues you had with links would have been down to me fiddling with the .htaccess files last night. I had some problems with www/non-www not working properly (it should always redirect to non-www, that's how I've marketed all my backlinks), so I was in the process of fixing those up while the site is still small and there were no registered users online.

Any further feedback, especially about the changes? The site is designed to work on desktop resolution 1024x768 minimum, which is pretty much a standard nowadays. I need to put in a page listing the requirements (Javascript enabled, 1024x768 minimum, FF/Chrome preferred, etc.) but I'm busy with more important components right now.

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 29 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

I love the design, and I'm a huge fan of Risk so I'd like to give it a good shot, but the Register function isn't working for me. Clicking 'I agree to these terms' reloads the page and otherwise has no effect. I didn't look through your javascript code, but the errors thrown are:

Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'hoverIntent' ucp.php?mode=register:93
Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'tipsy' ucp.php?mode=register:902

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 29 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Ugh more .htaccess issues, now resolved by the looks. I'm sure htaccess stands for "Hell To Administrators, Coders, Computing Engineers. Sybilline Stupidity".

Try now, and apologies for the problems. I expect this is why there has been no sign-ups over the past few days lol.

EDIT: Regarding those errors, they aren't a concern to me right now as they are just nice-to-have components in the forums. I'm getting the guy who did that style to create a completely new style for me from scratch, so once that's in, there won't be any javascript issues within the forums.

This post has been edited by e_i_pi: 29 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

The activation email went to my spam folder. The 'from' header is defualting to 'kjartan.arvixevps.com' which is causing gmail to consider it spam. You may want to change the headers in the email script to read 'do-not-reply@artofwar.cc' or something similar.

I'm checking out the actually gameplay now.

Edit: Having some issues with the dialog box. I'm getting the message "You're playing as Roman Empire but it is not currently your turn.", but only part of that message is visible. The dialog box isn't growing with the line break.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 29 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

That's weird about the email address, I fixed that up yesterday and can't reproduce it. If you find errors with the site, probably better to post them on the forums there than in this thread. I really just want to get feedback about the design and the interface here :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well it's definitely there. The 'game has commenced' email I got had the correct 'from' header, but the account activation and forgotten password emails didn't. I'll be happy to post any errors I find here but I won't be doing it on the forums.

A turn order display might be nice, so a user can see whose turn it currently is and estimate how long they'll be waiting for their own turn. The game log is shown with the most recent messages on top, which seems strange to me. Usually the logs are shown with newest entries at the bottom, chat room style.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 29 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Ntwiles, I found a fixed those email bugs (I think). The turn order display will be part of the Game Info popup, which I'm working on today and tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Design wise

Header

I like the idea of brush stroke font, but this one is a bit hard to read.

Navigation

The side nav font is too small to read. Increase the size and consider left-aligning it instead of centering.

Slideshow

Increase the margins, other content is crowding it too much.

Signup

Same issue. Personally I would move registration and login to the top right corner as you're not using that space.

Content

The background is blending with the main font, making it hard to read. Decrease the opacity of it and make the font a few hairs darker.

Content boxes

Too much content for too little space. Make it brief and to the point. Again, the font and the background are blending. Justifying a font makes it harder to read and isn't working well for this.

Look into increasing the padding from the container, as the text is close enough to be blurring with the border at a glance.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 11 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

Thanks Lemur, I'll look into resolving those issues. I prefer the sidebar text to be centre aligned for aesthetics, that might just be me. I think it could do with padding/margin top and bottom on each to help with readability, and yes the font size is a touch too small. The background opacity can be fixed easy enough - all the background art is published via the project module I put in, so it's just a matter of adjusting the settings and redeploying the individual background projects. As for the text/padding. I was more concerned with getting text in there that described the site well, I'll try trimming it down some and laying it out a bit better. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1