an "Answered" tag or image

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 917 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

an "Answered" tag or image

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

Since there are different images for threads that have different meaning, maybe there could be one for threads that have been answered.

There's images for threads that have been closed, threads with a poll, threads with an attachment etc, but I've not seen one for threads that have been answered (I'm talking in terms of questions asked on Programming Help sections).

The reason for asking is that some threads will have had a few replies that do not help the questioner at all and are then sometimes skipped over by others who assume since there have been multiple replies, that an answer must have been found.

It was also mean that once a thread has been answered it can be marked as "Answered" meaning you can see at a glance whether or not you should bother opening the thread to help.

Not sure how easy it would be to implement this since I've no idea as to the technical side of the running of this forum. It's hardly high priority either, just something to think of.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: an "Answered" tag or image

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: an "Answered" tag or image

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

I've seen similar features implemented on other forums, similarly set up as DIC, and it was more or less a wasted effort in all those cases. People would rarely mark threads as answered, and in the end the only people who did so were the site staff. (And we've got plenty of stuff to deal with as it is.)

DIC is more of a discussion forum than a strict Q&A site, so a feature like this is far less valuable to us than it would be to sites like SO. Threads here aren't limited to the point where an answer to the initial question is provided. An "answered" flag would discourage people to join the discussion, and it may well suffer because of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Fair enough, that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

this is a recent, & imo, a perfect example. Poster wanted a solution, & didn't really offer much for us to help him with. He found what he considered an acceptable solution elsewhere & marked his topic as solved. When we probed further & he provided this solution, it was far from perfect.

As Atli said, Dream In Code isn't a Q&A type of format. That's what StackOverflow is. The 'accepted' answers get voted on, & the discussion is all out of order. Dream In Code is about discussion, & furthering the programming experience to beyond the code.

Sorry for doubling up on the reply, but this question comes up a lot & I wanted to weight in on why we're not like that. We're not about providing an answer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Shall I mark this thread as "Answered" then :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

I can see both sides of the argument, I think there should be a way for someone to say that it is solved but that doesn't keep others from adding additional comments as to whether the implementation is the best suggestion. I would love to just know (and if someone doesn't check it as solved the mods can do) from glancing at the items if it was solved or not. Nothing should preclude me from reviewing the "SOLVED" sections and telling the OP that there is a better way of accomplishing the same solution. I don't want to see DIC become StackOverflow, but I would like to be able to see whether a users problem was actually solved, not just replied to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I think there should be a way for someone to say that it is solved but that doesn't keep others from adding additional comments as to whether the implementation is the best suggestion.

There is a way: the OP can reply to the thread saying "thanks, post X solved my problem" or "here's the solution I came up with from your feedback".

I've modded a forum with a "Solved" tag. It was miserable. For one thing, there's a language barrier. The more actions you can take on a post, the more people will just "try things" and screw it up. For instance, we have several "replies" in our Report A Post queue because some people either don't or can't read what it does.

On top of that, how many "drive by posters" do we have? Lots. People that post a question and never reply to the thread again. Even if we solve their issue, how do we know?

So that's what we had to do, have moderators mark older threads "solved" if they seemed solved. Of course, then we'd have to unmark them when the user did come back three months later and said "it didn't work".

So that's where it leaves us: a burden to the mod team with limited utility to the users. If we can push people to reply to their own threads with their solutions, that should get us most of the way there. I do encourage such; I'll ask people in-thread, and give them a good call-out and upvote when they do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

I try to courage when someone says its fixed to post the solution and sometimes it leads to more discussion, others just die.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1