Greatest Movies of all time

• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 2645 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Re: Greatest Movies of all time

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Citizen Kane is one of the most boring films I have ever had the patience to sit through.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I can agree that 7 Samurai is one of the greatest films of all time. Sure. I love it, personally, but I have no artistic appreciation for it.

For films I like that were nearly not made - how about Star Wars: A New Hope, or Back to the Future?

Movies that were hailed as awesome that I think were shit? Avatar, definitely. Juno got rave reviews and I think it was crap. Lets see, the Hangover...really all of those bro movies are the same.

How about some sleepers? Movies that get trashed and panned that are actually awesome? Maybe misunderstood by the masses.

For instance, I love the movie Hackers. Yep. It's awesome. Not only am I a fan of Johnny Lee Miller and Matthew Lillard, but it's a teen movie, not a serious computer movie. They managed to take a passtime that's really really dull to watch and fun it up with dueling tape loaders and some fun graphical representations. And the whole underground community was hilarious. Like the scene in the big hit where the guys talkin about the Tracer Buster Buster Buster. So Hackers is my fun pick, it's just a light movie that's enjoyable, that really catches a lot of shit.

My other is SLC Punk. In my experience, those who have disliked the film, either did not watch it completely, or did not understand it. Recent comments from James Merendino confirm my interpretation of the story as correct, too, so that's happy making. Many people watch SLC Punk and see it as a glorification of the Punk scene and lifestyle. They see it as, I don't know, a slice of life movie about punks? The film style is fast and loose, and the dialogue and characterizations are very well done and accurate. Yes, there's definitely appreciation of the punk genre and life in the movie, but that's in the dressing. The movie is a coming of age story - it's about growing up and letting go of the fetters of teenage social cliques. Stevo's dad defines the movie, actually. Stevo, in one scene, makes a spectacular rant about effectiveness and arrogance against his parents - to which his father replies "Steven, I didn't sell out, son - I bought in." This gets acknowledged at the end of the movie. It's not a celebration of punk, it's a coming of age story that really condemns the lifestyle of constant drugs and violence with characters like Mark, Sean, and Bob.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

there's a difference between your favorite movie and the greatest movies of all time. Just cause you like it, does not mean it doesn't suck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Best chick flicks of all time:
The Sweetest Thing
Down With Love

Most life-changing films I've ever watched:
Clerks
Pink Flamingos
Reservoir Dogs
A Clockwork Orange

Most underrated films of all time:
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Eulogy

Most overrated films of all time:
Casablanca
Gone with the Wind
The Notebook

My top five all-time favorites:
The Princess Bride
Labyrinth
Anastasia
The Muppets
Mamma Mia
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 29 January 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

there's a difference between your favorite movie and the greatest movies of all time. Just cause you like it, does not mean it doesn't suck.

Not really. "Greatest of all time" is completely subjective. Your greatest is not likely to be my idea of greatest. Just because the masses love it doesn't mean I don't think it sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

My favs:

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Full Metal Jacket
Pitch Black (We can throw Riddick in there too I guess, but PB is the shit)
Casablanca
Europa, Europa
Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I heard Das Leben der Anders was amazing, but I've yet to get around to watching it. I think it's on Netflix, so I might check it out.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 29 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Oh, yeah... loves me some Rocky Horror!

Life is Beautiful and The Red Violin were good, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 29 January 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Not really. "Greatest of all time" is completely subjective. Your greatest is not likely to be my idea of greatest. Just because the masses love it doesn't mean I don't think it sucks.

isn't that basically cc's point?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 29 January 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

View PostBenignDesign, on 29 January 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

isn't that basically cc's point?

I read it as more snide than that, like there's some universal objective measure of quality to storytelling.

The kind of reasoning I suspect that goes along with "Mozart is overrated" and "dubstep is complex music!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

of course you did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

there's a difference between your favorite movie and the greatest movies of all time.

I took cc's point to be that just because it's your favorite movie doesn't mean it's the greatest of all time... that some other movie is the greatest of all time. Which is the exact opposite of my point that the greatest movie of all time varies by person, that there is no difference between my favorite movie and the greatest movie ever... because I believe that my favorite movie IS the greatest movie ever... hence why it's MY favorite. You might think it sucks, cc might think it sucks, but to me it is, in fact, the greatest movie of all time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Sorry supersloth but that is what I meant. I can't stand when people say tacky movies that rely on their CGI is "the greatest movie of all time". It's okay to enjoy a movie, but you have to understand the differences in film between film as an art and film as an entertainment.

And depricated your example is perfect. No, I'm not saying Mozart sucks or dubstep is deep. Mozart was very talented and should be respected as such. Does that mean you have to like him? No. Dubstep takes a lot less thinking and is basically what a lot of people call "noise". Does that mean you can't enjoy it? No. But don't compare dubstep to mozart just because you enjoy listening to one another.

So, yeah, like what movie you like, but respect it for what it is. Because in the end, Pacific Rim was a sucky movie. But damn did I like it.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 30 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostSlice, on 29 January 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Citizen Kane is one of the most boring films I have ever had the patience to sit through.

This. Though Casablanca is a close second.

Greatest is... what? Production, cinematography, acting, story, deep social commentary. You'll note that last one is usually required to make the list. You'll also note that none of those qualities tells you if the thing is entertaining or not.

Shakespeare wrote great plays. Not because of all the high brow crap that makes academics soil themselves, but because in addition to that, they were exceptionally entertaining. Indeed, there were not meant to impress anyone; they're strictly to get asses in the seats and peasants in the yard. They are, repeat after me, fun to watch.

Stephen Spielberg and Akira Kurosawa do this in film. Art is not enough, it must entertain. How many times do you see "great" movies win Oscars and yet the idea of sitting through them fills you with dread.

I'd second B9's The Princess Bride nomination. Also, probably the most quotable movie ever made... Well, after Monty Python and the Holy Grail, so throw that in there, too.

I'll add The Sixth Sense. This is a great movie. Sadly, probably the only one M. Night Shyamalan had in him, but still great.

Others, in no particular order:
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Jaws
Alien
The Matrix
The Professional
Pan's Labyrinth
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

blazing saddles and men in tights are also goodones
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

And depricated your example is perfect. No, I'm not saying Mozart sucks or dubstep is deep. Mozart was very talented and should be respected as such. Does that mean you have to like him? No. Dubstep takes a lot less thinking and is basically what a lot of people call "noise". Does that mean you can't enjoy it? No. But don't compare dubstep to mozart just because you enjoy listening to one another.

I was referring to the reasoning that would go in to making such a claim - that there's some objective standard. It's purely subjective. Some people might find that Mozart's 9th gets really dull 20 minutes in, and some might consider the sheer quantity of sounds used in some dubstep to be complex and intriguing. That person, whose taste is based on the amalgamation, might mistake their taste for being objective and make such a claim. That's the kind of reasoning I referred to.

Wasn't an echo of my taste. I like both for different settings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +