6 Replies - 4151 Views - Last Post: 02 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Windows XP off life support: April 8, 2014

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Just a reminder for folks still rocking the XP - End of Life support is looming.

Microsoft's (MSFT, Fortune 500) plan to end support for XP doesn't mean that a third of the world's PCs will just stop functioning on April 8. But there are some very real consequences of continuing to use the operating system.

After April 8, Windows XP computers will be more susceptible to malware and viruses beginning, since Microsoft will no longer address major holes in the software. Although antivirus software will continue to fend off some malicious attacks, Microsoft's security updates provide an essential line of defense.

http://money.cnn.com....html?iid=HP_LN

After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

Running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after their end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as:

Security & Compliance Risks: Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization’s inability to maintain its systems and customer information.
Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) & Hardware Manufacturers support: A recent industry report from Gartner Research suggests "many independent software vendors (ISVs) are unlikely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP in 2011; in 2012, it will become common." And it may stifle access to hardware innovation: Gartner Research further notes that in 2012, most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on the majority of their new PC models.

http://www.microsoft...dofsupport.aspx

Though MSE will have another year of support.

Microsoft "will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015."

The post details the products in question as well: "For enterprise customers, this applies to System Center Endpoint Protection, Forefront Client Security, Forefront Endpoint Protection and Windows Intune running on Windows XP. For consumers, this applies to Microsoft Security Essentials."

http://www.infoworld...uly-2015-234374

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] Windows XP off life support: April 8, 2014

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Windows XP off life support: April 8, 2014

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Sadly, I am not on the upgrade from XP-to-7 list at work until 2015. No support for me. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Perhaps you should inform your boss that your job maybe crippled if you don't have an updated rig and OS. (gotta push for both at the same time, right?!) You know - wave the thread of viruses, updates, stability, etc and all the potential downtime you could avoid by getting out of XP. Throw fist fulls of doom and gloom. Make it rain like lightening bolts from Zeus!

I am fast tracked for the Win8.1 and Win9. Though I am already using a vm of Win8.1..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Switching to Linux is probably the best option for you and your boss if:

1. You want to cut down on software expenses
2. Get the most out of your hardware (before and after upgrading it)
3. Are capable of spending some extra time learning to use another system
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Except those really do not apply on an enterprise wide scale.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Commonfolk + Linux is a BAD idea. As it is now it still doesn't qualify nearly as well as Windows does in terms of user friendliness.

That being said, I'm a BSD guy myself and can't stand Windows, but I have no delusions that Linux is for everyone.

Now on terms of XP being retired, my response is simple: I'll believe it when I see it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

The end-of-life support from Microsoft isn't a "believe when I see it" scenario. It's a hard deadline.. now if folks don't get off it - well, that's their own choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1