17 Replies - 1930 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

#16 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Going overboard on data security

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 02 February 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

jon.kiparsky actual makes a good point, that you shouldn't rely on obscurity for the strength of your crypto system. What is strange, though, is that even though the security community accepts this truism, notice that most organizations still consider it a mistake to even give away that information to the enemy. You want the enemy to first waste time and resources figuring out which cryptosystem is being used before they spend time focusing on attacks on that system.

This is true in some cases - I guess they would say they're not relying on obscurity, but all the same they're going to use it. But of course, this is sort of foolish, since a crypto system whose security is improved by obscurity is one that's so completely broken that you wouldn't use it in any case. The only way this might conceivably help you is if you're using some system and a new attack is developed for that system - this would buy you a little bit of time to change systems, I suppose.

And of course, trying to keep your protocols secret only helps you when you're in control of both sides of the encryption. So basically, it's going to be possible for storage and for your corporate intranet and stuff like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Obsecurity can be used in conjunction with Crypto Algorithms to make it stronger , but as jon.kiparsky Said if you not comfortable with revealing your system then you might want to relook at your math.

You use 3 Algorithms? Wow. I usually use 1, I will have to rethink my security.

This post has been edited by alapee: 11 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Security is a passion of mine, so overboard is all I know. It's exciting to think what kind of encryption will be around tomorrow, or even the technologies to better secure communications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +