11 Replies - 423 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for a Blogging Platform

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi to everyone!

I recently got into web development, did quite some reading about it and found out that like everything, there is limitless ways to do it!

Quite frankly, it confused me a lot. The first thing I came upon was WordPress. Actually I have started my own blog with it and am exploring it right now.

What I wanted to ask you guys, is would it matter if I make a blog or a website? I need the blog/website to be of a more serious way, commercial.

I watched tutorials, but they all get you to sign to gatorhost or other and then begin building websites. I want to be able to make the website offline then after some time publish it.

Please if there is anything I haven't explained nice, kindly tell me.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day. :)

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 01 February 2014 - 01:08 PM
Reason for edit:: Renamed title to be more descriptive. Please avoid titles like "I'm a beginner" and "I'm stuck."

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for a Blogging Platform

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for a Blogging Platform

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

it matter if I make a blog or a website? I need the blog/website to be of a more serious way, commercial.

I am not sure if I follow.. why not make a website that has a blog attached to it? Why does it need to be commercial?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 February 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

it matter if I make a blog or a website? I need the blog/website to be of a more serious way, commercial.

I am not sure if I follow.. why not make a website that has a blog attached to it? Why does it need to be commercial?

Well I dont know I thought that would be harder to make. I have no experience in this area, and I'm just asking for guidance. Can you explain the most common used ways to make a website? Is there a certain way that more experienced web developers make the websites?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Typically using a mix of html, css, javascript, and some sort of server side languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

So do you think that WordPress would be a good choice for me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Starting out? Sure. Make templates and plugins, but also read up on straight up web programming sans cms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yes, as I stated I'm a total beginner with web development, and I stumbled upon WordPress. But it seems too simple to me, because the whole setting of the website is done by WordPress themself, maybe I need to keep digging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

WordPress is a PHP powered website. It's built to be a cookie-cutter blogging platform that doesn't require actual web development skills. You can pretty much set it up using themes and plugins without any skill in web-dev whatsoever.

If you want to develop actual websites, then you need to learn HTML, CSS and (eventually) Javascript. Those three are what all websites are made out of; the client-side trio that the whole web is built on. Server-side languages like PHP, ASP.NET, Python, Ruby, etc... those are what powers the "back-end" of sites; what handles the data storage and processing. WordPress is built on PHP.

So if you want to start learning how to be an actual web developer, start by learning HTML and CSS. That'll let you create web pages. Once that's done, you can move on to the server-side part and Javascript.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thank you for your responses.

I'll start off with WordPress first and then maybe go to HTML, CSS and so on :)

Thank you again, very appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

There is nothing wrong with using WordPress; a lot of my clients insist on having WordPress, so the way I see it, I'm getting paid for installing a CMS.

And WordPress is really helpful in that aspect too, as yes, there are a bunch of Themes and Plugins out there, but I just create my own and it's a simple matter of installing them as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

Why would they insist on that? Are they developers themselves? Do they actually know what they are asking for?

There is nothing wrong with using WordPress, as long as you stay within it's scope. (Blogging, basically.) They like to advertise themselves as a full blown CMS that can handle just about anything, but I've seen first hand that this is not true. The back-end database is more or less limited to the original blogging features of the system, and any feature that goes beyond that needs to violate pretty much all the standard design principles of a RDBMS to get the system to store the data. - That's a fatal mistake, especially if you are expecting a site to grow beyond to any decent size.

So yea. By all means use WordPress for blogs, small forums, and stuff like that. It's actually pretty good at that stuff. But beware of using it for anything more complicated. For that you may want to look into the "larger" CMS platforms out there; many of those, while not being as simple as WP in use, will offer a far better platform for non-blog-like features.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

As far as this goes:

I watched tutorials, but they all get you to sign to gatorhost or other and then begin building websites. I want to be able to make the website offline then after some time publish it.

To start out, you're probably going to be better off just getting a hosting package that suits your needs. Maybe even a disposable free hosting account just for testing, but free accounts might limit you too much. If you want to set something up yourself then you'll need a computer to be the web server, and you'll need to install web server software like Apache, PHP, and MySQL. There are packages like WAMP or XAMPP that include all of the pieces and try to make it easy to set them up and configure them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1