9 Replies - 2432 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need advice for Java Jobs

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

I need some advice. I'm getting a degree in CS. I'm looking for Java jobs when I graduate. What should I learn in Java to meet the industry java jobs? What kind of Java jobs are out there? So far the classes I took are just data structure theory classes. In these classes I've done Java command line programs. Does the industry make Java command line programs? I want to make desktop softwares. Is Java the right path?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need advice for Java Jobs

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need advice for Java Jobs

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.

See this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Java's a solid path. In particular, a working knowledge of the Collections API, Google Guava, and the various executor services are nice to have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

View Postxclite, on 01 February 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

Java's a solid path. In particular, a working knowledge of the Collections API, Google Guava, and the various executor services are nice to have.

What kind of Java applications are built in the real world usually? Do companies use Swings?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postlearntosucceed, on 02 February 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

What kind of Java applications are built in the real world usually? Do companies use Swings?

This question is hard to answer. People will say "this kind of application is built in the real world" well it actually depends on where you are. What do your local job listings say? Most job listings have a sections that say "Experience with.." and lists out specifics of the technology they use. It's not bad to just learn as much as possible in the little amount of time until you graduate. Also think about it this way, say you're a proficient java developer. And you don't have experience in some framework that a company is looking for but they company still calls you in. They may ask you about it and if you say that you do not have experience in it but you would be willing and able to learn it they may be happy with that answer. As a developer you're never going to know everything that a company wants you to know. Over time when you work for a company you will learn and become proficient in whatever framework they want you to use. What you should really take away from this post is that you should be seeing what companies are looking for in the location you want to live in. No one can really tell you what to learn other than the people signing your paycheck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

View Postlearntosucceed, on 02 February 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

That varies wildly. Where I work, we use Java for nearly everything, with some rails for simple CRUD apps. Java's domain is enormous.

We use Java for libraries, services, command-line utilities, some web pages (though Spring honestly drives me nuts). I actually don't see many Swing applications in our products, but that doesn't mean people don't use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Swing is pretty much dead outside of academic testing software (ie., state standardized tests, the GRE, etc.). Java is primarily used for Java EE and Android applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

If you want to work with Java, you are going to be doing web development and maybe mobile. Concentrate on those two. Having even limited jsp and servlet experience id good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 depricated  Icon User is online

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'd suggest also looking into Struts and Spring. Both are MVC Frameworks commonly used in web applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I like Java very much. I did a lot of command line and Swing projects, so I was just lost what I will be doing with Java in the real world. I will take a look at the frameworks, android, and the web development stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1