11 Replies - 742 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are there any good books?

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Can someone recommend some good literature to learn HTML, ASP.NET....basically anything that has to do with the Web development?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are there any good books?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are there any good books?

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

Books, those I don't know about. I never found a good reason to buy an actual book. Pretty much all the info you need exists online, and if one resource online is bad (which many books are as well), then all you have to do is go one step back and click the next search result. :)

We have a list of resources online that you might find useful:
Web Design Resources And Sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

To add to Atli's response, w3schools.com has excellent tutorials to get your started with any web language you could want to learn. Specifically, here are the pages for HTML and ASP.NET:

HTML
ASP.NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

Personally I would not recommend w3schools. In the past they seem to have had trouble with inaccurate info and unwillingness to update obsolete/incorrect pages. - At least, don't consider them as a definitive source, but corroborate their info with official manuals and more reputable sources.

Also, try not to copy their coding style. It's horrid :)
(Perhaps a somewhat subjective opinion, but it's one I've found I share with a lot of people.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

I did enjoy Murach's ASP.NET book..
http://www.dreaminco...ng-with-vb2010/

Though - you can mostly find a solid answer by checking amazon for reviews of books with recent publication dates..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostAtli, on 08 February 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Personally I would not recommend w3schools. In the past they seem to have had trouble with inaccurate info and unwillingness to update obsolete/incorrect pages. - At least, don't consider them as a definitive source, but corroborate their info with official manuals and more reputable sources.

Also, try not to copy their coding style. It's horrid :)/>
(Perhaps a somewhat subjective opinion, but it's one I've found I share with a lot of people.)

Wow, that's news to me. I've used them without issue for ages. Do you have any specific examples or sources?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

http://www.w3fools.com/

http://meta.stackove...ools-now-please

SO link said:

W3Schools is a garbage web site, designed to rank high in search engines in order to show people ads. The site demonstrates that the quality of the actual content is entirely secondary to that goal.

Its PHP MySQL tutorial contains a SQL injection hole to this day, at least since 2006. It is likely responsible for many, if not most, of the tens of thousands of users who show up on Stack Overflow with vulnerable, broken code.

If anything should be banned, it's links to W3Schools itself. That would eliminate the need for W3Fools links, as well.

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

What I could never get over is that, until pretty recently, they insisted on using the old MySQL API extension for all their PHP-MySQL pages, without so much as a reference to the current technologies that have replaced it (PDO and MySQLi). They've fixed that now, using MySQLi instead, but for a site that ranks #1 is most PHP-MySQL related searches, making users believe that the old API was the thing to use for that long is pretty much unforgivable. - Like the SO quote andrewsw posted points out, W3Schools was no doubt responsible for a great deal of the insecure and obsolete code people posted on forums like DIC and SO over the years.

Another thing that annoys me to no end is their PHP mail() Function page.

For one, as the headline for the code points out, the code is very insecure. It's pretty much begging to be abused. And do we think the majority of newbies out there pay attention to the warning in the header and try to find a way to fix it? Hell no. They just copy-paste it, and then a week later start wondering why their domain got black-listed for spamming.

Also, the mail function is used there without any regard to what it returns. They execute the mail() function, ignore the return value, and then print a success message. - I can't tell you how many times I've seen this exact code (more or less) posted in forums like DIC with the question: "My code works but the email never arrives. What's going on?" - It's such a perfect place to teach newbies the virtues of checking return values that it's just sad that they let it stay this way. (And yes, they've received tons of emails about this, but apparently just don't care.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

Wow. I'm blown away. The page that the stackoverflow member links to is still up, and this is how they tell users to prepare queries:

From this page:

$sql="INSERT INTO Persons (FirstName, LastName, Age)
VALUES
('$_POST[firstname]','$_POST[lastname]','$_POST[age]')";

I totally retract my recommendation, thanks for the info guys.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 08 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

I agree with Ntwiles, w3schools.com is an excellent place to get started. For basic languages like HTML and CSS, books are not necessary. A good practice will be building a website and working on it. Using Google or forums like this to solve problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Avoid W3Schools, can't believe it is still going.

For the HTML and CSS side of things, the best book I've ever seen is HTML & CSS. There is also a Javascript sequel, if you're interested in that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostShane Hudson, on 09 February 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

For the HTML and CSS side of things, the best book I've ever seen is HTML & CSS.

I agree, excellent book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1