8 Replies - 2129 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are web developers and web designers different things?

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello All,

I really hope this is the right place to put this....

I am about to start applying for a new job and am looking for a job Web development (.net although it doesn't matter all that much for this....). I have worked on web applications before, I have several years of software engineering experience etc. but I am not what you would call "A Creative" ( I can't look at something and go "That blue would look better" or "Use Font A instead of Font B" and I was wondering is there such a thing as a back end Web Developer or even front end for that matter.

I guess what I am asking is, are web development and design separate jobs or are you expected to be able to do both?

Like I said this is a strange question but one I am quite interested in knowing the answer to.

Kevin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are web developers and web designers different things?

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are web developers and web designers different things?

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

It really depends on the employer. If you're at an IT firm, probably not. If you're one of 2-3 people at a small company, probably so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I personally don't know a lot of people who are good at both. There are some design things you can learn, but for the most part you want a real designer for design work.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

As far as I'm aware, developers are more logical than designers and designers are more artistic. So you kind of need both. For example I generally do a lot of web development, but my websites are generally fairly simple design wise, then I'll get some sort of pre-made static template to carve the logic into, because a designer has already made it. Design takes a very very long time, and you don't get much from achieving it, where as with logic you can get a lot done very quickly but it requires a bit more skill. I find web design very tedious and boring and it's just not something I want to get bogged down with when I'm writing logic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

I always thought a web developer was someone focused in the back end logic where as a web designer was someone who made something look good.

Not many people are good at both. I feel like it's a 'right half of the brain vs left half' thing. Personally, I prefer back end stuff. I can do front end but most times what a customer thinks is good, I think is crap. So I usually just do the opposite of what I think looks good :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I know there are alot of places that actually have web developers, web designers, and then graphic designers. The graphic designer makes the mock ups of the web site. the web designer is usually a front end developer. Meaning they have the CSS and javascript skills to do what is need to make the site a replica of the mock up. That is if the graphic designers understand what can and cannot be done on the platform the site is being developed for. and then the developer normally does all the backend development. However the web designer should have some knowledge of backend development so that they can make quick fixes if needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I do both, but I'm a special kind of crazy.

They're definitely separate things. Really, there are a few more classifications in some companies:
Web Designer - Fonts, Colors, etc
Frontend Developer - Javascript, page structure, css
Backend Developer - db manipulations, php, ruby, etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

I do both, as I see my final product as a work of art. I prefer to make my design template and then add content based on what looks good. I prefer to do back end things though. I can do pretty much anything on the logic side (as long as I have resources to give me an idea on how to do things I don't know how to do) but with design, I come up with an idea in my head but I can't make my design exactly match what I'm trying to do, so a lot of the time I find myself cannibalizing code from other web sites to fit the image in my head. Then I like working with the "behind the scenes" server-side things best because that's what truly makes your site unique. So theres a definate difference between Design, front-end development and back-end development because you get a different feeling when doing the 3, just like with Algebra/Calculus and Arithmetic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I built a webpage for a friend last weekend. She asked me, "where are the banners?" I told her, "I'm a developer not a designer. If you want banners, make them and I'll put them up."

She did and I did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1