4 Replies - 3740 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Unnamed Game

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hey guys,

I've been working on a game for some time now--it's almost 100% ready to launch for public beta (EG all my friends who have next to no computer knowledge and wouldn't be able to give me valid input). There's only one functionality that still needs to be implemented, but its not a super high priority one. Everything else is ready to be tweaked upon release.

So anyway, This is my site

Notes:
  • The "mine system" button is the only thing that isn't functioning at all right now. I'm working on it as we speak, but as i said, its not a high priority function.
  • the hosting service I use (JustHost) didn't like the way I was coding, and there have been a couple of redirect issues -- I'm fairly certain i've gotten them all, but please inform me if you have any issues, specifically with the upgrade and "colonize" systems.
  • I'm working on a better hashing for the password, (as of right now it's only using md5, so be warned).

Thing's will be tweaked eventually
  • The "Attack System" is always a success--I'm trying to work out a nice forumula to make it better.
  • I'll be adding a "Ship" tab to the game eventually; my friend is working on some graphics for it and he said it could take some time

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unnamed Game

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Unnamed Game

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

All I see is a gray page with two textboxes that ask for a user name and password.

so... there's nothing to check or see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

The features I see seem to work well for the most part, and it looks like a good very early start to a game. That being said, you're calling this a public beta, so I'm going to judge it as such.

Design

For a public beta, I'm not seeing near enough functionality. I just attacked an colonized every system. Since attacks always succeed (and apparently take no energy), there was nothing to stop me. Now that I have them, all I can do with them is mine, and there's apparently nothing I can do with my mined materials.

I think I leveled up, and think I unlocked some kind of ability called 'The Reasoning For Life', but there's no explanation or context clues for how the level system works or what these abilities are meant for.

Functionality

-When a system is taken over, the Full System Information is updated to the current owner, but the map doesn't update until the page is refreshed.

-The colonize button seems to be unresponsive. I think this is while it's waiting for a response from the server. You should provide some kind of information to show this, like disabling the button.

-The 'Upgrades' table is cut off by the Resources panel and only the bottom half of the word 'Upgrades' is visible.

Conclusion

Don't try to release this publicly yet. It's not in anywhere near a playable state. Keep working at it. Don't get discouraged, because it's coming along nicely. You need to put some thought into what features will make this game challenging, and what features will make users want to keep coming back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostNtwiles, on 10 February 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

(and apparently take no energy)

Well... they're taking energy on my test server... I didn't even notice that when I uploaded--Probably because I was just colonizing and that takes a lot less energy... I'll fix that.

as for everything else you've said; Thank you for your input.

The Upgrades: this is pretty much the last thing i'm going to fiddle with (Because that'll take the most man hours--they're all in an XML file) the upgrades increase various stats and such. They do function, I just haven't written them out yet. that's why the first level's are Level 1 and level 1 alt. The upgrade panel looks fine on my test server, but for some reason, is hidden behind the resources tab on the test server. I noticed that upon your mentioning. thank you again.

The Resources: like i said, mining isn't functional right now (at least the button, having a colony in a system does increase various multipliers). but the resources themselves are tied into the upgrades, which are currently, as i said, to be fiddled with...

The Colonize Button: I'll take your suggestion and disable the button. thank you again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Update: So I fixed the issue with the map not updating--which seems to have broken the rest of the site. I seriously need to get a new hosting provider, 'cuz Justhost is JustCausing me issues
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1