2 Replies - 448 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

WEBS.COM uncopiable code

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Hey guys, hoping for a point in the right direction here.

I've been researching methods of making my page inviolable (i.e. unable to copy chunks of text, pictures etc) and I'm worried that they wont work... why? Because I use Webs.com (yes, I'm cheap and use a free sitebuilder). It's imperative that I do so because i use images from other parties on that site and i want to deter people from illegally copying or using them.

I've found a couple of promising codes for my site (http://www.xedanis.webs.com) at HTML Goodies, and managed to implement one that disables the Right-Click menu... but as you'll probably know, that doesnt stop someone from simply selecting and hitting ctrl+c...

I DID find one interesting one that basically shoves a transparent image on top of everything so that when the ctrl+c command is made, all it gets is a big blank image. I just can't find that code anywhere all of a sudden, and also I've got no idea if it would work with the webs HTML widget.

Any ideas? Anyone know that code? Anyone tried it with success?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WEBS.COM uncopiable code

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: WEBS.COM uncopiable code

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Erg, my apologies, I totally forgot to mention my browser. I'm on FireFox 20.0.1 (i think... laptops not here cause i'm at work). :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WEBS.COM uncopiable code

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hate to break it to you, but if you display anything on the web and someone wants to take it they can. Even if you manage to disable right-click and select+copy they can just view the page source, or use a scraper such as wget to pull the entire site, or look at their cache for the file they want.

The point is, if you are displaying anything on the web, it is being downloaded to the user's computer. This means that anyone can get anything they want if you so much as show it to them.

Now, you can try to make it harder, as you are attempting, but those won't work very effectively. For instance, if the user just disables javascript in their browser all of a sudden neither method you are currently attempting will work. You could try using Flash, Silverlight, or Java applets on your site, but the user just needs to look at the URLs that their machine is accessing to get the images, or at worst case scenario, inflate the files to get embedded images out of them.

Moral of the story: Anything publicly visible on the web is also publicly obtainable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1