6 Replies - 2213 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good Programming Books

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'm looking for good books on programming languages.
I have Walter Savitch's C++ book.
Any suggestions for the following languages...
Java, Ruby, Python, Lua, C#, PHP, HTML, and an assembly language book.
Please if I'm gonna spend 100+ dollars on books and scour the internet for tutorials I wanna be well equipped.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good Programming Books

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good Programming Books

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

You're certainly diving into a lot. From your other threads, it looks like you're just learning programming. I'd stick to one language and focus on mastering that one, rather than frustrating yourself by trying to learn multiple languages. It seems you have a C++ course, so that seems like a good language on which to focus. We have a pinned book thread in the C/C++ forum, which you may find helpful. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Don't spend $100+ on books. Not all at one go. You simply don't know enough to buy 4 books at a times. Odds are you'll get through one of them then realize the other 3 duplicate that content by 90%, or that 75% of all the books have the same content as on-line material that is free.

Get one. One book on one language and work it cover to cover without trying to design anything of your own from scratch. Just learn what the author is teaching and do all the exercises.

THEN look for a second book that feels like it picks up where the last one left off.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I appreciate the honesty guys. I'll take up on your advice and stick to mastering C++ right now. I read that java is the most utilized though so should i aim to make that the second language I master?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Focus on one language for now. By the time you're ready to pick up a second language, it'll be at least a year from now. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

If Ruby interests you we just had a thread on that, and I had a pretty sizeable dump of books with a few beginner ones there that'd set you back $50 or so.

http://www.dreaminco...ost__p__1968668
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

I agree with what's been said, but I want to particularly shout amen to our Klingon friend's advice. Pick one book - just grab the one thing that you're most interested in, and find the book that seems to you most likely to cover that well - and attack that book with ferocity and vigor.
I say this over and over again, because this question comes up over and over again, but it always seems worth saying: the most important part of a book on programming is the programming exercises, followed closely by the code examples. Every piece of code in a book is there to illustrate something in particular, and simultaneously illustrates a number of other things. If there's a piece of code, make sure you understand the details of how it works before you move on to the the next one. And by the same token, writing a programming exercise, even if it seems trivial, is a chance to practice what you've learned and get better at writing code that runs and does what you expect. That's the single most important thing you can do right now - so do that.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 12 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1