Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 2838 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

#1 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Lost images from tutorials

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Many tutorials, particularly older ones, have lost their images over the years, detracting from their value.

We accept that this will happen in forum posts, which is why members actively discourage their use, particularly discouraging screenshots of code. Is there anything that can be done to ensure that tutorial-images do not disappear? This would obviously mean copying them from linked locations to the web-server, presumably at the point when they are approved/published.

Alternatively, DIC could perhaps use an external service such as photobucket to keep these images?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Lost images from tutorials

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lost images from tutorials

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

The question then becomes.. Which tutorials... and were the lost images already linked someplace else, like BucketOhPhotos?

Where the included in the tutorials and therefore lost from DIC itself, or did someone have them on their personal website that later went 404?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

I think the issue is how do we prevent this from happening with future tutorials/snippets.

Also I think some of the older tutorials and snippets need to be examined to insure they are still relevant to the current "standards".

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yes @Jim.

I wanted to raise your second point as well. We should, at some stage, have a review of the tutorials, to either delete or archive some which are too old, or encourage outdated practices.

We could keep a list of those that will be deleted to encourage people to submit updated versions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

View Postjimblumberg, on 13 February 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think the issue is how do we prevent this from happening with future tutorials/snippets.

To fix a problem you have to identify the *real* problem. In this case you just can't say "'images are gone" because we have multiple ways of attaching images.

If the problem is that links to images at locations other than DIC are disappearing then the fix is to stop allowing that in tutorials. All tutorial images must be uploaded to DIC and attached. Personally I think this is a good idea because it kills all dependence on third party hosting.

If the problem is that images uploaded to DIC are disappearing... Then talk to the web master about why. Did a drive go dead that wasn't backed up?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

I don't know why images have disappeared as I'm not talking about my own tutorials.

I assumed it was a know issue as there are quite a few tutorials where this has happened. Of course, on a quick search, I'm struggling to find one :whistling:. When I do I'll post a link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

A lot of the images are disappearing from places like photobucket and other hosting sites. In addition, some of the really old attachments to DIC are gone too. BUT, if you notice tutorials that you think have lost significant value as a result of missing images, let one of the admins/mods know so that we can tabulate a list of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'll keep a list of those with broken images, and some that use out-dated technology, as I encounter them. It'll take a while ;)

Of course, there won't be much point in trying to resurrect images for tutorials that are candidates for deletion/archiving. I'm more interested in a policy to keep them for new tutorials.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 13 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 13 February 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Also I think some of the older tutorials and snippets need to be examined to insure they are still relevant to the current "standards".

Jim

Yes,

especially those that use Turbo C++ or void main insteaad of int main
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1