5 Replies - 1446 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Bootup issues with laptop (requesting for help.)

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Greetings;

I thought I'd make a thread to see if anyone can help me out with this. I had a floor model of Toshiba laptop i7 with windows 8 64 bit professional version installed got it for $1200.

I switched OS from windows to ubuntu 12.04 LTS amd because I wanted to get involved in to the networking and some other aspects in that area. for a while it was working great until I started fiddling around with the GRUB to get rid of the extra partitions so that I would have a one volume in HDD for storage which will make it easier for me to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu13.10 which would be my primary OS that I will work with and secondary OS would be windows 7.

Proceeding so, it got me to a screen stating: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key"

Now I tried booting using the USB with WinPE, and Ubuntu Live, it just doesnt work.

In BIOs all devices are showing under the boot tab but they dont work.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out on this. Thanks.

All I need help with is to get to a command prompt where I can reset the partitions in to a proper disk type and install a reasonable OS.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bootup issues with laptop (requesting for help.)

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Bootup issues with laptop (requesting for help.)

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I gather no one seems to know the answer(s) to this on how to fix this, so I had to format the entire hard-disk and install windows 7 pro 64 on it. Now the "resolve," lead me to the second problem, which was that, I cant get in to the BIOS, it would lead me to an "Advanced Boot Manager." It would just start the windows 7 but it would not go to the BIOS nor it would boot from the CD or USB.

So the problem is partially there. I wanted to make a partition where I can install Ubuntu 13.10 64bit.

Any help would be great.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 28 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

It's not a simple problem to diagnose over a forum post. Lord knows what you did, didn't do, or kludged.

In all honesty - if you wanted jack around with ubuntu you should have just installed virtualbox and ran the OS inside of windows while you f'd around.

Also it would help if you explained this:

In BIOs all devices are showing under the boot tab but they dont work.

Perhaps pictures of the screen?

which was that, I cant get in to the BIOS, it would lead me to an "Advanced Boot Manager."

Are you sure you are hitting the right keys to get into the bios?

I had a floor model of Toshiba laptop i7

It also helps to explain what your laptop's exact model number is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:07 AM

That is correct I have been hitting the right keys right by the start up screen.

I apologize for the longest delay but I took it to the computer repair shop and had the hard disk cleaned. Lesson learned; From this point on if I want to mess around with anything I would either use Raspberry Pi, or VMware or VBox.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

This should have been a relatively easy fix without the need for formatting, if you understood partitions. Linux (actually any non-Windows OS) will use a boot loader. The boot loader lives in the MBR of the hard drive. The boot loader will then allow you to boot any OS available to the machine. This can be on the same drive, or another drive. The Windows boot loader on the other hand is incredibly generic & only boots Windows on the same drive. You can make edits (or could at one time, is it still relevant in Windows8?) to boot.ini but by the time the OS is listening to that file guess what, you're past the MBR ;)

So what does any of this matter? With Linux (or other non-Windows OSes), you can change anything beyond the MBR & only have to update your boot-loader. That means you can install an OS post-install of your primary OS & only update Grub (or LILO). Windows however does not ask questions it just does. So if you install Windows after installing Linux, it will trash Grub & install it's loader at the MBR. So if you had a working Windows & trashed Linux, & wanted to go back to a single booting Windows, you should have only needed to boot Windows (from a DVD) & installed a new boot loader at the MBR.

However, none of this has anything to do (nor should it) with your BIOS. Your BIOS is only going to map the devices in order to get to a primary drive, to find the MBR to find the bootloader.

You can say lesson learned, but it sounds like you may have learned the wrong lesson. Rather than learning how it works you learned not to tinker with it. That works for some, but I would suggest diving deeper :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Sorry for the very late post; The lesson that I've learned was, not to install any sort of OS besides Windows 8 especially when you just learned how Grub works. You either use any sort of VM or Raspberry Pi(since it is affordable.)

The problem was the hard drive failed to respond, forcing me to check it in the BIOs, and I could not find a proper solution for it online. All I wanted to do was to install Linux on my laptop side by side with windows so that I can actually take it anywhere and actually put my laptop to good use.

I put the entire Linux mess around thing on hold and focus on Java and other languages before I can jump back in to the Linux (When it comes to finally establishing your personal domain.)

Thank you guys for attempting to help me out tho.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 11 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1