6 Replies - 3640 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

front-page for my website... need some input

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

So i've been working on my website for a long time now... and am just now getting around to overhauling the design of the front page.

here is the page

any and all input is appreciated. Though I specifically want input on the registration form area. Forms are my kryptonite.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: front-page for my website... need some input

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: front-page for my website... need some input

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Well.. I hate it.

I can't selected text. I don't know why you would add that CSS.
It looks like there should be a scrollbar, but it has been turned off. I do not know why you would turn off over flow.

The colors are not great..
The header bar thing has multiple issues.. first the 'log in' button is cut off..
The logo in the top left is not easily readable as dark red on black.. nor does it come to the index page if clicked.
Too much space with your text in the center left column.
The 'redactbeta' image looks weird.. I am not sure why the edges are cropped right to the font.
The 'user name and password' thing looks awkward and too large.
I am unclear why there are huge gutters on both end of the username/password.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

What do you mean by gutters?

The text selection thing is a mistake--It shouldn't have been uploaded to the live site. I appoligize for that, it'll be removed ASAP.

Where does it look like there should be as scrollbar? It looks fine on my screen... (I'll try lowering the resolution and checking again).

The log in button--Once again looks fine on my screen. i'll have to write it to have a minium size.

I think most of these issues are mixture of my having a really big screen, and having write all the code to adjust to the size of the browser. I'll just go back to my roots and start doing most things in definite pixels instead of percentages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

This is what I am seeing:

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

I would scratch this and start again. There are a couple of design elements which are nice, but just aren't working as-is. There are good things to be said for the design, I definitely would NOT say I hate it, but I'm going to be critical because it's more helpful. I think your most important issues relate to sizing and scaling:

- You have a lot of screen space which isn't being utilized properly.
- Your main content element is a little thin for having so much data. You have about 350px wide of text on my screen. For that much text content, I would widen this a little.
- Your Reddact Beta image is decent, but it's taking up space awkwardly.
- You allocate about 1/3 of the screen width for your registration form, and use a very small section of that column. All that empty space below it is wasted.
- Your login popup feature is nice, but not necessary (and honestly not implemented very well). You have the screen space to fit this on your page normally, so do it.
- Your registration form is more wide than it needs to be.
- The entire width of the content your site (holder div) is a whopping 1250px. The current standard is about 980px. This is based on the average width of monitors being used right now; I would trim up your content quite a bit.

I've recreated your site with these issues in mind, but keeping all of your current design elements (I would make some changes to these too, but we can revisit that later). Consider something more like this:

Posted Image

Note these changes:

- Main content text is more spread out, and easier to read.
- Banner image is prominent, but not massive ( you could even make it twice as tall as I did and still look good, and you might want to)
- Much less wasted screen space in general.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 25 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

- The entire width of the content your site (holder div) is a whopping 1250px. The current standard is about 980px. This is based on the average width of monitors being used right now; I would trim up your content quite a bit.

Really? I have it set to 1250px because I read an article that said 1250 is the standard. I'll correct that ASAP!

Also--I very much appreciate your input. I am by no means GOOD at the "Design" aspect of web design--I'm much better at the whole background tasks PHP stuff. but anyway--Thank you for your input (and that image as well, should be useful for redesign!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

I've updated the site again; There's some place holders right now for images I plan on creating/uploading tomorrow. but i'm too damn tired at the moment. but the overall design is much more clean... at least I think so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1