1 Replies - 826 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Video hosting through FTP? (youtube restricted)

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hi, So i've recently been put in charge of maintaining my companies website. We just created a brand new whiteboard animation mp4. Which I uploaded to youtube and then embedded onto our website through wordpress.

We ran into a problem however, because some of our clients have sent in complaints letting us know that since there company blocks youtube they are not able to view the videos.

I'm guessing that since youtube is blocked most of the other video hosting websites (vimeo, vzaar, etc.) would be blocked as well. And Im pretty sure the best way to go about doing this is to host it through our FTP files and then embed the URL to our wordpress.

I was wondering if this would be the best solution? I don't know enough about coding to do this myself but am going to try to find someone to do some freelance work but I want to make sure I know what I am looking for is right.

The mp4 file is 125 MB as well, so I want to make sure this method could handle that size okay and we have also been sending the video out through a hyperlinked image in emails, so that it just takes the client to a fullscreen, auto play , version from youtube and we would like to still be able to do this when we host it through this different method if possible.

We have about 1000 clients, and we're hoping for maybe 2000-3000 views though a couple months of having it out.
Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Video hosting through FTP? (youtube restricted)

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Re: Video hosting through FTP? (youtube restricted)

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

Putting it on the webserver and then providing a link to it would have 2 potential results when users click the link, depending on their configuration. They'll either be prompted to download the file, or it would load a blank page with just the video and play there. That's mainly determined by the video player used on the computer and its interaction with the browser.

You could also host it and create a page with basic HTML/CSS that includes a video player set to display your video.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1