What kind of side projects are you working on?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 6752 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

• Nero

• View blog

What kind of side projects are you working on?

Post icon  Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

I remember a thread a year or so ago where we talked about ninja apps and the like, personal projects. I'd love to fire up such a discussion again, but more broad. I feel like it's a way to get to know eachother as programmers - learning what kind of things motivate you to code in your free time (if anything).

So what kind of side projects are you working on (that you're willing to discuss)? What language are you using? Why do you want this? And lets go beyond code, if you like - what other things are you in to? Do you have a band, a car you're working on, a new wing of your house?

I've got two I'll share:

First, the furthest along, is a WYSIWYG Character Sheet Designer/Database for Table Top and Live Action RPGs. I've been building it in VB.NET and plan to use VB to create a companion website with online DB. In the LARP I play we've been using the same VB5 Application for over a decade. It hasn't been updated, and new versions of the game we play have been released. Not everything in Grapevine is relevant any more, and it's not comprehensive enough to work with the new systems.

Second, I've been conceiving and designing a game for several years and considering what to do with it. The other night I sat down with XNA and started putting it together to make it happen. The goal is a Strategy RPG. I've looked at other frameworks like Unity, but XNA with C# seems to have everything I need and has been easier to wrap my head around having never touched C# before. Unity left me scratching my head. :(/>/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What kind of side projects are you working on?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What kind of side projects are you working on?

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Does it have to be about code? If so then I can move it out of the lounge to say software dev or the cubicle corner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Let it rip!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

As a side project I have been working on a book to use in my community education beginner intro to coding class set to run in the winter. It is a basic rundown of terms and common practices as I have learned reading the threads here and in my own experiences in web development.

I hope to get it approved and share it before September. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've been thinking about doing a wordpress auto-deployment script for some time. I wrote it last weekend & have been testing it this week. Just need to put it behind a paypal api, & it's all set :)

On an un-code related project, I'm still struggling with rebuilding my alternator. It's near impossible to unbolt the thing without a vice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Does it have to be about code? If so then I can move it out of the lounge to say software dev or the cubicle corner.

My initial thought was code, but I mean I'd be happy to hear about peoples bands or the car they're building, too. - edited original post to reflect that :)

View Postlaytonsdad, on 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

As a side project I have been working on a book to use in my community education beginner intro to coding class set to run in the winter. It is a basic rundown of terms and common practices as I have learned reading the threads here and in my own experiences in web development.

I hope to get it approved and share it before September. :)/>

That sounds like an awesome resource

View Postno2pencil, on 07 March 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

I've been thinking about doing a wordpress auto-deployment script for some time. I wrote it last weekend & have been testing it this week. Just need to put it behind a paypal api, & it's all set :)/>

On an un-code related project, I'm still struggling with rebuilding my alternator. It's near impossible to unbolt the thing without a vice.

Right on. I've never been particularly fond of WordPress. And I don't know jack about cars :( I'm a total noob under the hood.

This post has been edited by depricated: 07 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Let it rip!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

That sounds like an awesome resource

I hope so. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm a pimp on the downlow. I got about 3 bitches at the moment. The playa's ball's next month, so I gotta get my game up. I use the ebonics language for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

@neo - Okay there Butters. It sounds like you have a great plan, do you know what I am say'n?

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

trying to put in a new hockey team in but the damn bastards at the rink wont call back
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

I know that feel, eh.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Some of our clients have taken high resolution air photos (geotiff) and I'm currently working on adding route directions to the map
The map can already be viewed in a webbrowser where both bing, air photo, and several overlays are available
We are having a lot of geodata available, and I'm trying to put it all together :)

I'm having a good challenge with this side project :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Code related:
I am currently working on a to-spec HTTP/1.1 server which is coming along nicely. I am currently programming it for a single-threaded model, but I have mutex locks in place so it should be thread-safe if I ever find the need to make it multi-threaded. At this point, I am able to determine what page people are looking for, parse the headers, take the incoming content (in the case of Post at least, though it should work with Put and Delete as well), and generate a response to the incoming requests. I also found that not all browsers listen to the connection-close response right away, so I give it a small break (a few fractions of a second) and then close the connection on the server side to make sure that it is actually freed (In my testing, IE listens to the connection-close right away, but it is the only one) -- I also found that this is only really a problem with the favicon.ico file, assuming you return a 404 (doesn't exist). I still have a bit of work to accomplish on it, for instance I don't currently parse out the post/get data into key-value pairs, I just store it on the server. Further, I need to figure out how to get cookies going. Language: C++

I have also made a few JSON classes to stringify and parse JSON data/ objects according to the ECMA specification for JSON (ECMA-404 I believe). That was a fairly easy project. Language: C++

Projects in planning:
I am planning on modifying the HTTP server to allow for web sockets as well when I get that far. Language: C++

I am also planning on redoing my personal site (reigning games -- link in sig if you want to go there) to be more of a game rig/ review/ hardware review/ other random thoughts blog. I'd be doing it from the ground up that, because that's how I roll. Language: PHP, Javascript, HTML, MySQL

Non-coding projects:
I have been paying a lot of attention to BitCoin recently, and kicking myself for not buying in to it about 6 months ago when they were significantly cheaper. I have set up a raspberry pi to be part of a mining group and am currently running about 10 GHash/s on it. Based on the math I have done it won't actually ever pay back the money it cost to get the hardware, but it is a fun little experiment in the meantime.

Old projects:
Last summer I helped my parents terrace their backyard. This next summer we will be continuing on that project by putting down a patio and planting something back there.

Last fall I helped my parents replace the shelving in their pantry. That was a bit of fun cutting and drilling wood and trying to make it module so we can hopefully replace parts as they break. So far it has been a lot sturdier than their previous pantry shelves were, so that's good.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 07 March 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Non-coding projects:
I have been paying a lot of attention to BitCoin recently, and kicking myself for not buying in to it about 6 months ago when they were significantly cheaper. I have set up a raspberry pi to be part of a mining group and am currently running about 10 GHash/s on it. Based on the math I have done it won't actually ever pay back the money it cost to get the hardware, but it is a fun little experiment in the meantime.

Posted ImageThis has paid for itself
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

What in tarnation is that contraption sonny?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

I looked into that magic internet money, but it looked like too much work.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +