• Last »

57 Replies - 4960 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Why handheld devices should be banned from kids

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

http://www.huffingto..._b_4899218.html

This is why America is technologically crippled, nonsense like this.

I'm fairly sure people on this board have spent far far more time online than the recommended 2 hours a day for kids 12 to 18, and effectively calling us invalids and developmentally stunted is downright insulting.

As for the poor grades and sleep deprivation, I at least was horribly bored with school and found it pointless, so I took to learning things on my own time which often collided with sleep. In fact it's one of the key reasons why I was able to take off in technology.

File this under Huffington Post again demonstrates their lack of technological knowledge.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Why handheld devices should be banned from kids

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why handheld devices should be banned from kids

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

This seems more like a Lounge topic than Industry News. Moving.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

I'll address point for point.

1) This is a false attribution. Correlation does not imply causation. The kind of parent who lets the TV be the babysitter is the kind of parent who would cause these states to arise in their children. Shifting the blame from bad parenting to technology is just irresponsible.

2) Same as 1.

3) Aaaaaand again. With all of these, so far, it assumes the parent is letting technology take their role.

4) It wasn't sleep deprivation that hurt my grades. I didn't fail school - school failed me. It was boring, uninteresting, and worst of all the administration hated me. I know, every kid feels persecuted right - no, I shit you not, they were out to get me. The best example of this: I got expelled Junior year for threatening to come shoot up the school with a crossbow. What actually happened: I was talking to a friend of mine on the bus about a MUD, and mentioned that I had picked up a rare crossbow. Fought it in court, won - they suspended me for the rest of the year, and told me I wasn't allowed to return to school because I turned 18 over the summer and they weren't required to and wouldn't accept me back. And it confuses my parents that I did so well when I got my GED and went back to school, where I was challenged and the course work wasn't leagues beneath me.

5) Everyone has something wrong with them and there are pills for everything. This is an ongoing trend for all age ranges.

6) I wrote a paper debunking this idea in school. Basically, violent children will like violent games, but violent games do not make children violent. Catharsis is good.7

7, 8, and 9 are all luddite paranoia on the level of the anti-vaccine crowd.

10) Growing up with technology is vital to being able to function with it.

sorry my answers cut off short, I've been half assing this for 2 hours while watching Buffy and am starting to pass out. Good night dic heads.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I also wrote several papers in college debunking the violent games = violent kids. And my depression stemmed from other issues, video games made me happy. TL;DR: author is a bundle of sticks.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have a totally different feeling about this.

I suffer a lot from attention deficit, bad short time memory, addiction, and sleep deprivation. And I think it's directly related to my use of technology, video games, Internet, etc.

The same as you Lemur : school seemed pointless to me because I was able to learn everything I was interested in on the Internet, because I lived amazing adventures in well written and immersive RPGs, etc. I am an autodidact, I have learned by my own 3D modelling, graphic design, photography, web development, pre-press processing, etc. and I think I'm good enough to make a living of it, but I had bad marks at school. I can remember I was always tired and I had difficulties to focus, especially in Maths and Physics (and I LOVE Maths and Science in general, so I was interested in it). I met my best friends at school, some of them are now scientists and when we chat about their work or related stuff I sometimes realise I kind of missed a step when I was younger.

Apart from this personal testimonial, I have other arguments any of you can identify with.

I don't know any phone number but my father's, and I always have a doubt on the last digits ;) This is the fault of technology : only a few years ago, people could remember so many random numbers !

I love to copy and past when I need to use some data (especially x,y,z coordinates) from a software to another. I realise I am totally unable to remember 3 floating numbers for 5 seconds, and I know I used to be. I became lazy, so did my memory.

When I don't remember an English word (I'm French), I immediately type it on Google to get its translation. No wonder my English level seems to drop.

Think about how easy it is to get an information on the Internet, and therefore, how little is its impact on our emotions/memory since we didn't "earn it" : memory is about defining what information is important and should be stored. To qualify as an important information, it has to have some kind of emotional impact.

Studies show that our usage of Internet decreases our personal investment when we search an information : we are more likely to skip parts of it and to forget it as soon as we've used it. I myself love the CTRL+F function on my web browser. It allows me to find the very sentence I seek without reading the entire article. Yes it is faster, but what if it becomes a habit ? What if I were a child ?

When I hear teachers saying they want to introduce tablets at school, I wonder if they come from the same planet. I'm sure it will do nothing but to distract children and adulterate their experience of learning.

Did you know that our ancestor's brain was bigger than ours ? Can you believe that detailed stories were told orally before the democratisation of writing ? It is obvious that every kind of technology substitutes our raw cerebral capabilities. The more we rely on them, the dumber we become.

I'm not saying that we should just ban it, but we should be very careful, especially with young children who are constructing their mind and personality.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 08 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 08 March 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I also wrote several papers in college debunking the violent games = violent kids.

During the 90's I remember a statement during a murder trial : He could only have this pin point accuracy of the shotgun from hours of 'training' he got playing Doom.

The accuracy in the game was incredibly forgiving. If anything, someone that only received training from video games, & then wielded a shotgun would likely hurt them self the first time it kicked from firing it.

Just my opinion.

View Postge∅, on 08 March 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

I suffer a lot from attention deficit, bad short time memory, addiction, and sleep deprivation. And I think it's directly related to my use of technology, video games, Internet, etc.

Self control. It sounds harsh, but I think it's "American" to use the term suffer from such luxuries.

I like to play online all day too, & avoid work. But when time comes to get shit done...
I also have 'sleep deprivation' from drinking coffee. I need to get up at 5:am, & I'm actually drinking coffee now. These are my responsibilities, & I know my limits. Tomorrow I'll see the effect from todays poor decisions.

View Postge∅, on 08 March 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

I don't know any phone number but my father's,

I make it a point to hand dial important phone numbers & not store them in my phone. It takes a few weeks, but its' totally worth it when I am in a pinch & need to know a number. There is nothing more embarrassing than when one of my friends doesn't even know their own number.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

View Postge∅, on 08 March 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

I have a totally different feeling about this.

No, that's a personal problem. Don't blame a device for your own shortcomings.

The same as you Lemur : school seemed pointless to me because I was able to learn everything I was interested in on the Internet, because I lived amazing adventures in well written and immersive RPGs, etc. I am an autodidact, I have learned by my own 3D modelling, graphic design, photography, web development, pre-press processing, etc. and I think I'm good enough to make a living of it, but I had bad marks at school. I can remember I was always tired and I had difficulties to focus, especially in Maths and Physics (and I LOVE Maths and Science in general, so I was interested in it). I met my best friends at school, some of them are now scientists and when we chat about their work or related stuff I sometimes realise I kind of missed a step when I was younger.

Again, a personal problem. It's your own lack of drive, don't blame technology. Grades don't matter for anything in the real world if you actually know what you're doing in tech. If you find this isn't the case, you likely don't know what you're doing.

The steps you missed when you were younger were self-discipline.

Apart from this personal testimonial, I have other arguments any of you can identify with.

I don't know any phone number but my father's, and I always have a doubt on the last digits ;)/> This is the fault of technology : only a few years ago, people could remember so many random numbers !

No it's not... It's your own fault yet again. Besides, why should it even really be necessary to remember trivial details like that? The point is to make it to where you can focus on other things.

I love to copy and past when I need to use some data (especially x,y,z coordinates) from a software to another. I realise I am totally unable to remember 3 floating numbers for 5 seconds, and I know I used to be. I became lazy, so did my memory.

I won't disagree with Lazy, but again it's unnecessary to remember.

When I don't remember an English word (I'm French), I immediately type it on Google to get its translation. No wonder my English level seems to drop.

That's because you don't use it often. Your willingness to blame every bad thing on technology is astounding.

Think about how easy it is to get an information on the Internet, and therefore, how little is its impact on our emotions/memory since we didn't "earn it" : memory is about defining what information is important and should be stored. To qualify as an important information, it has to have some kind of emotional impact.

Studies show that our usage of Internet decreases our personal investment when we search an information : we are more likely to skip parts of it and to forget it as soon as we've used it. I myself love the CTRL+F function on my web browser. It allows me to find the very sentence I seek without reading the entire article. Yes it is faster, but what if it becomes a habit ? What if I were a child ?

Then you wouldn't have wasted pointless hours in research when all you need is a simple answer.

When I hear teachers saying they want to introduce tablets at school, I wonder if they come from the same planet. I'm sure it will do nothing but to distract children and adulterate their experience of learning.

Did you know that our ancestor's brain was bigger than ours ? Can you believe that detailed stories were told orally before the democratisation of writing ? It is obvious that every kind of technology substitutes our raw cerebral capabilities. The more we rely on them, the dumber we become.

I'm not saying that we should just ban it, but we should be very careful, especially with young children who are constructing their mind and personality.

People are substantially smarter, except we tend to highlight those who are the special kind of stupid in the news.

No, the problem is personal laziness and ineptitude with a desire to blame anyone or anything but themselves. You want to know the solution? Grow up and quit bitching about things.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

I'm going to borrow a parallel from no2. Columbine (that's what you were referring to right?).

Columbine is, in a way, a tipping point. A delimiter. It marks the first - in my memory - heavy media coverage of a school shooting. I was in 9th grade at the time. Harris and Kleebold were only 2 years older than me. But since then, many school shootings have been hyped by the media. This lead to people like Jack Thompson blaming Doom, calling it a "murder simulator." This was also around the dawn of the 24 hour news cycle. This was around the same moment that news television went from newspaper style reporting, to eventually literally becoming what was held as satire in the movie Network (tell me that Glenn Beck is not the real life version of Peter Finch's character).

After the Sandy Hook shooting I decided to pull the numbers. While all the talking heads were decrying everything from violent video games to violent tv shows, I was reading the (FBI?)'s release on public targeted attacks. Not just school shootings, but mall shootings, terrorist bombings, anything violent (gun, knife, car) that was aimed at not just an individual but anyone in the killer's vicinity. This data went as far back as the early 60s, and as recent as I want to say 2011 - I THINK it was a 50 year analysis. You're a resourceful lot and I'm sure someone can dig it up, I can't remember off the top of my head and yet again I'm very tired. I'll dig it up tomorrow if someone really wants me to and no one else does. The trend climbed until the mid-80s when it took a sharp dive. The number of public targeted attacks - including the Unibomber, the bombing of the Oklahoma Federal Building, both attacks on the WTC, Columbine, and so forth - is now less than half what it was in the 60s.

To be contrary and take a counter-position: I blame video games, which became a prevalent source of catharsis in the mid to late 80s.

What we see is not an increase in public targeted attacks. What we see is an increase in coverage of them. We now televise every last detail, from the moment a call comes in that shots were fired in a school building, or the car thief pulls off and blows his brains out on live TV. The news is simply more gruesome.

And to turn the whole thing back on the media:
http://www.psycholog...chool-shootings
and this video conveys similar information for those not interested in reading a full article

POINT BEING:

The media is fucking stupid and hyperbolic. They are luddites and suffer form techno-fear. Their only goal is to make you load the ads on their site, or watch their commercials. Whatever ridiculous nonsensical crap they can spit out and still sound like they're at worst "just offering an opinion" or "just asking questions" (aka JAQing off) they will spew endlessly. They don't care about accuracy, they just want to push whatever political agenda they have at you and get that ad revenue/payoff. These are the correlations perceived by a mind intentionally and willfully expunged of all logical capacity. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

TL;DR:

This post has been edited by depricated: 09 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

i think this is a new record for changing a thread's topic to "violent video games and shootings".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:53 AM

I'm going to have to play devils advocate here too.

I was a horrible student, and it was very much due to sleep deprivation. I spent very large lengths of my free time playing video games and on the computer. At the time, both my grades and social skills did take some blows.

It's hard to say whether or not one is better than the other, but I definitely think massive amounts of time on the internet can wire your brain to work differently. I think I can attribute my problem solving and complex idea comprehension abilities to this time spent as a kid, but I also have trouble with memory. Sometimes I can't find the word I'm looking for, or the name of an actor that I should know. I've thought for a long time that this may have been attributed to growing up on the internet. I guess it's impossible to say for sure. I know I'm going to limit my kids time on the internet though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 09 March 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

i think this is a new record for changing a thread's topic to "violent video games and shootings".

I said it's a parallel to illustrate a point. I forgot (and edited in) to define the point I was making. It's there now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

View PostNtwiles, on 09 March 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

I'm going to have to play devils advocate here too.

I was a horrible student, and it was very much due to sleep deprivation. I spent very large lengths of my free time playing video games and on the computer. At the time, both my grades and social skills did take some blows.

It's hard to say whether or not one is better than the other, but I definitely think massive amounts of time on the internet can wire your brain to work differently. I think I can attribute my problem solving and complex idea comprehension abilities to this time spent as a kid, but I also have trouble with memory. Sometimes I can't find the word I'm looking for, or the name of an actor that I should know. I've thought for a long time that this may have been attributed to growing up on the internet. I guess it's impossible to say for sure. I know I'm going to limit my kids time on the internet though.

I think time should definitely be limited - because too much time at the computer means stagnation. Not limiting means you're not taking a hand in your child's development (I use the general you, not you specifically Ntwiles or anyone else). That's where the problem lies for all of this. If you were allowed to sit on the computer for 10 hours a day as a kid, consider whether the problem is that you were on the computer or that your parents weren't involved. My parents drilled me with memorization exercises, made me go outside and play, read to me when I was a wee lad. The problems I had stemmed from self-image issues and a lack of confidence in school, and the administration's blithe indifference lead me to condemn them as one of the guilty parties. It also didn't help that I learned at a young age that respect is earned and not given, so I never gave respect to teachers/principals who were rude to me.

The problems presented in the article are appropriately tied to parenting, not technology.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:50 AM

Don't get me wrong. I used the word "suffer", followed by medical terms, to give a neutral clinical connotation to my sentence. Your reactions surprised me. I don't blame technology for anything, and the skills I have listed and which I use in my job are to its credit. I am just trying to put my personal experience in perspective. And I think I do it fairly well.

Ntwiles summarised it all with "I definitely think massive amounts of time on the internet can wire your brain to work differently". It is a fact that brain is very flexible and that the way you use it (or don't use it) makes it take a certain configuration : it's called training or learning. And it is also a fact that the more you grow old, the more you loose this flexibility, so bad habits taken while you are young can have serious consequences on your life as an adult.

no2pencil, you do agree that your phone's memory substitutes your own memory. That's the reason why you choose to hand dial important phone numbers. It is a point against our usage of technology.

I raised the same point when I was referring copy and paste. It is a functionality to copy and paste, but if I trained myself to remember x,y,z coordinates I would be able to remember them without the help of technology.

Same thing with CTRL + F : it doesn't substitute your memory, but your ability to identify and filter information. Man ! Don't you see the blinking red lights saying "Altert ! Alert ! You're laziness will kill your brain !".

Lemur, you can't blame a 12 yo boy's lack of drive. Do you remember the topic of the article linked in your first post ? We're talking about children. They have to forge their brain, solve problems and be creative. They will have the "chance" to dumb themselves down when they will be grown up responsible men like you and me ;) At least that's what I think.

And just to be sure I am well understood : I am not saying we should forbid technology, I am just saying we should be very very very careful.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 09 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

View Postdepricated, on 09 March 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

I'm going to borrow a parallel from no2. Columbine (that's what you were referring to right?).

no : Evan Ramsey

Also just to note, because I was too lazy to look it up last night :

In February 2012, the German weekly publication Der Spiegel reported in its cover story that Eisenberg spoke of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in his final interview, seven months before his death, that ADHD was the prime example of a "fabricated disease". Eisenberg remarked that instead of prescribing a 'pill', psychiatrists should determine whether there are psychosocial reasons that could lead to behavioral problems. It should be noted that Jörg Blech the author of the Der Spiegel article is critical of the healthcare industry, and authored a book in 2006 entitled "Inventing disease and pushing pills: pharmaceutical companies and the medicalisation of normal life".
Leon Eisenberg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

I wouldn't trust this content. I don't think it's the purpose of an encyclopedia to index such news item or event. Moreover, the article's organisation seems weird (have you ever read a "Motives" category in an encyclopedia ?) and the fact that it exists in only one language is also a bit suspect.

It doesn't change your point. I'm just surprised to find such article on Wikipedia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »