How to be motivated to study for school?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 2718 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to be motivated to study for school?

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hello DiC members,

Just like everyone else I prefer some subjects more than others. Let's take math as an example, I know I can understand it but whenever we got an assigment, I just can't grab the book and be motivated to study.

My grades in math are bad ( several years now ), never really took the time to actually learn from my faults like I do with other subjects. How did you guys overcome this kind of situations and actually be motivated for subjects you once hated?

( Dutch is my native language so if I made some grammar faults, please correct me. )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to be motivated to study for school?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to be motivated to study for school?

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

My grades in math are bad ( several years now ), never really took the time to actually learn from my faults like I do with other subjects. How did you guys overcome this kind of situations and actually be motivated for subjects you once hated?

The only way to learn it is to actually spend the time to sit down, read, and do exercises. It's an issue of do you want to pass your quarter/semester/degree/etc or not. There are just somethings to put the time into.

What motivated me to study for a class I was not thrilled about? Parental disappointment, understanding the long view that it is needed, and personal responsibility to put in the time (regardless of how much) to accomplish the task of passing the class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

It's easy. I'm just like "do you want to fail this class again, wasting another $1000 and a semester of your life? No, okay, I'll grab the damn book. :("
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Want good motivation to study?

If you don't, you will FAIL. If you FAIL you won't get into COLLEGE. If you do get into COLLEGE with bad grades you will accrue DEBT. If you accrue DEBT you will pay it off for the rest of your life. If you dont pay off your DEBT before you DIE your FAMILY WILL PAY OFF YOUR DEBT IN YOUR PLACE.

SCHOOL = GOOD
LAZINESS = BAD

Also I cant math either, but persistence is key.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 belgarion262  Icon User is online

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

Aim High. If you set your goals ridiculously high and its a failure, you will fail above everyone elses success.

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 10 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:04 AM

Get a girlfriend/boyfriend.

Scientifically approved. Be happy and you will eat broccolis, comb your hair and do your maths ;)

Another strategy is to get interested in Maths. There are a lot of Maths in programming. I'm not talking about the boring abstracted meaningless and useless mathematical objects, I'm talking about the magic tricks that make your code smarter and that make you feel your are nothing less than an omnipotent god ;)

I wish I had been interested in programming when I was your age. It would have given me real world test cases to apply what I was learning. I love Maths today because I use them. And I want to learn more about them.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 10 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Well thanks for the replies everyone, seems like all of you have finished school and have the knowledge with it :).

I'll do my best, and indeed I saw math in only 1 way, the boring useless " make those exercises you'll never use again " stuff. I'll see it from now on as a challenge, maybe that will make it more fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

You could try seeing math as a game, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

It's simple, and I'll let you in on the million dollar secret too.

School is hard, it's work. There are no simple tricks and secrets, just working harder. Very very few people can skate by, and those that can end up regretting it later on.

That being said I jacked around most of my last year of College, hardly showed up for class, and spent all my time learning about programming concepts I wanted to. Then again I'm a statistical outlier and I don't suggest that plan of action. I only got away with it because I knew that following my coursework would have made me worse for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

The boring exercises you won't ever use again - you're going to use them again. Or at least, you're going to find yourself making use of the math you learn from them. Trust me on this one: it's all going to come in handy. If you were going into something like marketing or journalism or something, maybe not, but if you're going to be a programmer you'll find that having all that math in your head will be very useful later on. You can get by without it, but it'll make your life a lot harder, so you might as well get it in your head now.

But I'd hate to see you just slogging away at it just because you're going to need it later. The stuff that you're seeing as boring exercises is material that's made some of the smartest people in history weep with delight - there's beauty there. Look for it. Look for the way it all hangs together. Look for the way one idea over here turns out to be integral to some apparently unrelated idea over there - for example, if you're doing calculus, look at the way all of those geometrical interpretations just happen to work out. Think about that for a minute - Euclid and Pythagoras and Descartes weren't trying to justify Newton's theories of motion when they set up all of those ideas, and Newton wasn't trying to make geometry work better when he did his work. But somehow, you look at these two completely unrelated branches of math, and they hold together perfectly.

That should make you stop and think - maybe there's something really, really cool here.

If that doesn't work for you, there's a lot of other areas where really really cool stuff lurks. Graph theory (Euler's proof of the seven bridges problem, for example) or set theory (Cantor's work on infinity is mind-blowing!) or number theory, or game theory - the list goes on, but those are some really fun places to play in. And none of them really need the math you're getting bored by in school. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

You sound just like me. I think the problem with schools is that sometimes they don't give you any motivation of why you study what you're studying. That's something that you have to figure out later by yourself, or when you have to take a cool class that needs mastery of that boring class you hated years ago. So I think a good way to motivate yourself is to figure out how this stuff can help you out later on, and may be try to work on some toy projects that will make the experience more enjoyable for you. If you still can't stand the class, then there isn't really any way around it but to just sit down and study. It will save you a lot of time later on, trust me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 ge∅  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

If history of science were taught, students would be more interested in maths. It is true that school doesn't give enough motivation by itself, they just force-feed you with tones of informations without context. For example in maths (In France at least, when I was a student) you learn complex numbers but NOBODY tells you that solving equations of degree >= 3 involves square roots of negative numbers. So, because equations of degree >= 3 are not in the year's program, you just believe complex numbers are a silly abstract object mathematicians masturbate on. How in the hell do you want teenagers to get interested in something like that ??? Thankfully, this subject isn't hard to learn but it's the only example I have in mind right now.

If my job seemed nothing but hard and pointless to me, I would change it right away. I totally understand that some people need extra motivations to study when they are 16.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostCreecher, on 10 March 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

If you don't, you will FAIL. If you FAIL you won't get into COLLEGE. If you do get into COLLEGE with bad grades you will accrue DEBT. If you accrue DEBT you will pay it off for the rest of your life. If you dont pay off your DEBT before you DIE your FAMILY WILL PAY OFF YOUR DEBT IN YOUR PLACE.

Don't die and leave your family in debt. Switch to DIRECTV.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Shoulda had a V8
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

View Postge∅, on 11 March 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

If my job seemed nothing but hard and pointless to me, I would change it right away. I totally understand that some people need extra motivations to study when they are 16.

You got that right, I'm indeed 16 and need extra motivation. Well, thanks to some amazing comments, I'll guess all this boring stuff will be useful in the future. I'll just take the 'easy' way: stop complaining and actually study, everything better than doing this year all over again because I failed for math..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +