9 Replies - 4168 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming for money in college

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hi guys! I am an European student and I am going to begin my undergrad studies in Computer Science at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) this fall. My parents invested everything so I can go to the states and once I get there I will literally be broke. I figured that since I am going to major in CS it would be a good idea to make money coding. Where can I find a job that does not require much knowledge and that has flexible schedule? I mean a job for starters, probably online, or something that as a CS major I can do to make money. $100 a week should be a fine start. Thank you very much!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming for money in college

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming for money in college

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

The first thing that comes to mind would be some sort of 'freelancer.com' work.. though that's all more complex than a freshman in college would be able to deal with.

Where can I find a job that does not require much knowledge and that has flexible schedule? I mean a job for starters, probably online, or something that as a CS major I can do to make money.

Just say'n - you will be super limited in scope when looking for a job that doesn't require much IT knowledge but is in the IT field.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I tried freelancer.com but most of the jobs are complex and there are a lot of Indians an Pakistanians (no disrespect) that post very low prices and it is not worth it! But what about jobs in fields related to IT. I mean I am not looking for a specific job in IT, but I would like to enjoy working and make it count on my resume. I mean a job delivering pizza, selling coffee or putting books on shelves in the library wouldn't do much help and I wouldn't enjoy them either. On the other hand, working in a STEM related environment would be much better and who knows, maybe I'll switch!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

I have no idea what you are shooting for with a job or your experience level. I guess you can try being a TA, but that's usually not until a few years into college.. other IT jobs typically come with some sort of required schedule.. and there's not much work for someone with 'pre-freshman' levels of knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

View Postlungu9, on 10 March 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hi guys! I am an European student and I am going to begin my undergrad studies in Computer Science at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) this fall. My parents invested everything so I can go to the states and once I get there I will literally be broke. I figured that since I am going to major in CS it would be a good idea to make money coding. Where can I find a job that does not require much knowledge and that has flexible schedule? I mean a job for starters, probably online, or something that as a CS major I can do to make money. $100 a week should be a fine start. Thank you very much!

If you are good at understanding your classes you could always tutor, you don't make much (i charge $7/hr) but its something, you also get a much stronger grip on topics that you teach i've found, plus you get extra practice. If you want you could also do peoples homework for much more, but there are issues and you could get into trouble with your Uni (check your college's plagiarism guidelines, mine for example doesn't penalize DOING someones homework, only turning in work that isn't yours).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

View Postmhijazi1, on 11 March 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

[...] If you want you could also do peoples homework for much more, but there are issues and you could get into trouble with your Uni (check your college's plagiarism guidelines, mine for example doesn't penalize DOING someones homework, only turning in work that isn't yours).

I would strongly urge against doing other people's homework for money. Not only is it unethical, but it short changes the other student's learning and jeopardizes any future learning by having a shaky/swiss cheese base with little to rely on for advanced concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Not only what modi123_1 points out, but you could also be kicked out of school for doing that.

Also I'm not sure why this isn't posted under freelancing, as that's exactly what you are asking about.

** Moved to Freelancing **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 March 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Not only what modi123_1 points out, but you could also be kicked out of school for doing that.

Also I'm not sure why this isn't posted under freelancing, as that's exactly what you are asking about.

** Moved to Freelancing **

I want to point out that I agree with the two above posts. My last reply made to seem like I condoned doing other people's homework. If you do decide to go down that route for some reason be sure you will not get yourself into trouble by doing so, it is not worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

This can be hard to do. You likely won't be a worthwhile choice for most companies because you know nothing. As you said, if you try to freelance you'll end up working for $5 an hour because someone will work for pennies.

Your best bet is to just expand your skills by assigning yourself some projects. It won't put money in your pockets now but when you graduate you'll have a nice portfolio that will help you land a job in no time.

This post has been edited by Logik22: 14 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

You could work in the school's IT department if you are lucky enough to find an opening. You should expect to spend most of your time plugging in projectors, and running cable. At least, that's what I saw of the IT jobs, I just worked in the lunch room :/

Besides that, at an American uni there will be plenty of part-time work opportunities, start searching the online job board before you arrive on campus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1