12 Replies - 2007 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

where to go from here

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

OK first of all I am a beginner c++ programmer with relative knowledge enough to maybe make a text-file based address book. BTW i learned most of from Bucky's tutorials. but now I am stuck. i want to get int GUI but its all QT and stuff which i have to be ide dependent. but i wanted to know if i start java instead does it come with a built-in GUI rather than using something like Qt. because in Qt it does so much stuff for you and the library is huge that you don't understand anything rather you are just doing it with minimal language knowledge. if there is a GUI that is based on logical syntax i can most probably grasp it. All in all, I first started with html and css. i understand those concepts of forming the table, setting title,divs, etc. I want to manipulate the code myself with more control rather using the MS Frontpage to make a webpage.
i hope someone can understand my gibberish and help me out. thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: where to go from here

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: where to go from here

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

but i wanted to know if i start java instead does it come with a built-in GUI rather than using something like Qt.

Let me introduce you to Java Swing!

http://docs.oracle.c...torial/uiswing/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Personally I'd go from C++ to C#... Oh wait, I *did* go from CPP to C#

MS Frontpage... Hello, the 1990's called and wants its software back.
You can use C# as part of the website as well as program for WindowPhone and Windows tablets running Win8

If you jump into C# and WPF (not outdated WinForms) you'll have a lot going for you by way of website interaction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

@modi123_1 Is swing part of core java? also i know that java is cross platform, but i just want to know if one develop gui for win-rt and android.

@tlhIn`toq haha i didnt realize frontpage was that dead. i was using it until last year. anyway when you went from c++ to c# did you learn c++ thoroughly?

thanks again. i appreciate your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

I believe java is used in mobile apps yes-- i think you can use c# as well.

both those languages are pretty much cross platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

No I didn't. In fact I hated C++. It just didn't click with me and I fought it every step of the way. I just couldn't accept that in this modern era that we still had to have header files separate from source files, or that we had to do so much memory micro management when I knew other languages had built in garbage collection, etc. etc. It just felt antiquated at the time I was learning it. I'm not saying it is and I'm not saying it doesn't have its strong points. Just saying how I felt about it at that time.

But I think computer languages are just like human languages in that one will click with you and feel natural and another might not. Maybe French just doesn't work for you but Polish does. It doesn't make one a bad language.

Find one that works well for you and get good with it. Once you have accepted the underlying concepts it can make the next language easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostMxood, on 13 March 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

@modi123_1 Is swing part of core java? also i know that java is cross platform, but i just want to know if one develop gui for win-rt and android.

I believe java is used in mobile apps yes

You can't really lump "mobile apps" together like that any more than you can say "Yes diesel is the fuel for vehicles" because some use gas, some diesel, some jet fuel. It all depends on which platform (engine) they run on.

WinRT and Android are two different operating systems. iOS is another. But those are all mobile devices. Just because they are all easily carried under your arm doesn't mean you can use one language to code for all of them.

WinRT is Windows. So C#
Android is Java
iOS is Objective-C

There are number of projects and technologies that ease that translation. For example the mono project ports over .NET to iOS so your C# code can run (within limits) on an iOS device. I'm sure there are other such projects to help other languages port code to other operating systems. For a lot of programs that's probably good enough. Or you could build in HTML5 to make web apps that can run on the browser of each device. But even then there are limits as to how much is compatible. For example Safari on iOS may not be able to open the microphone and speaker at the same time, even if Chrome on Android can. In the end, if you have a complex application that requires low-level control of the device you need to write it in the native language for the device.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:43 AM

this site sums it up for you

http://vslive.com/ev...ng-c-sharp.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

Good reference!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostMxood, on 13 March 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

@modi123_1 Is swing part of core java?

Swing is the primary Java GUI widget toolkit. It is part of Oracle's Java Foundation Classes (JFC) — an API for providing a graphical user interface (GUI) for Java programs

https://en.wikipedia...wing_%28Java%29

View PostMxood, on 13 March 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

also i know that java is cross platform, but i just want to know if one develop gui for win-rt and android.

A quick search of 'java win-rt' and you find the most up to date answers.
Example:
http://answers.micro...f3-aef5a8e6b1d4
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 March 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

but i wanted to know if i start java instead does it come with a built-in GUI rather than using something like Qt.

Let me introduce you to Java Swing!

http://docs.oracle.c...torial/uiswing/

Swing is on its deathbed. JavaFX is friendlier and where the Java GUI is heading (not that many people use Java for desktop development nowadays).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

What I don't see in the original post is any sense of a goal. Where you should go from here depends on where you want to end up. Without that, you'll be spinning your wheels for a long time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

i sorry i forgot that.
but i do have some vague goals.
but i want to start of my hopeful programming career with a strong sense of the language and be able to create useful programs.
anyways i really appreciate and am thankful for all the answers. thank you for giving me time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1