#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Flash is dead, long live OpenFL!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

http://gamasutra.com...live_OpenFL.php
http://www.openfl.org/

I know Haxe has been on my list for a while now, but has anyone looked into it much or this OpenFL? It seems like a whole mess of good for a community left out to dry.

OpenFL is an implementation of the Flash API written in the Haxe programming language
Basically, you write your code in Haxe, then you link against the OpenFL library to get the functionality of the Flash API. This means:

You just keep making flash games, but you also get mac, windows, linux, and mobile targets, all at native speed!

Even better, you can keep using a lot of the same tools. The FlashDevelop IDE, very popular with Actionscript coders, has excellent support for Haxe. "Fine, fine, I can port my code over easily enough. But what about all my flash art stuff?" Not to worry - you can keep using the Flash authoring tool and its native flash vector animations if you like. That's because OpenFL recently released their swf library for free, which lets you use SWF animations and assets in both your flash and C++ targets.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [link] Flash is dead, long live OpenFL!

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Flash is dead, long live OpenFL!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I was just reading the Slashdot article. It sounds like in addition to targeting the various platforms, they also have output for HTML5/Javascript. I would be interested to see how much of the Flash API is supported for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Flash is dead, long live OpenFL!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Ha.. synchronizing twitter drops and /. .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1