11 Replies - 769 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

#1 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Blindman saying Hello.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hello all.

I am a 46 year old guy living in sunny Perth Western Australia and i quite literally dream in code. I got my first 8Bit machine at the age of thirteen, by the time I was 14 I had written my first game in machine code (that's right did not have an assembler so would code on paper, then calculate the op codes by hand and type them in one byte at a time). Since then I have written in about every language I have heard of, developed for every thing from massively parallel supper computers to tiny little 4 bit micro controllers and everything in between.

I specialize in visualization and ran my own software company for 10 years developing a wide range of applications for both the government and private sectors. I have a BSc in Computer science and a BSE in Engineering.

I am currently taking some timeout to peruse some personal projects/hobbies and testing the waters in regards to new business opportunities. When I find time I like to poke around forums and stir things up a bit. I get my biggest kicks when told it cant be done, its impossible, or that's not how you do it.

So for the next few months at least Ill be spending some time in here so see you then.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Blindman saying Hello.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Blindman saying Hello.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Welcome!

When I find time I like to poke around forums and stir things up a bit. I get my biggest kicks when told it cant be done, its impossible, or that's not how you do it.

I would advocate not baiting folk since that cuts close to trolling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

I would also add, Please do not disrupt the individual language forums as there are students that are trying to get some legitimate knowledge and should not have to read through a bunch of sh&# to get to the answer they seek. Take your jollies to the general discussion area. There are lots of people you can piss off there and not hurt someone coming for help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

View Postlaytonsdad, on 20 March 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

I would also add, Please do not disrupt the individual language forums as there are students that are trying to get some legitimate knowledge and should not have to read through a bunch of sh&# to get to the answer they seek. Take your jollies to the general discussion area. There are lots of people you can piss off there and not hurt someone coming for help.

For a moderator you set a fine example of how not to behave. I do not appreciate being told that I write a bunch of shit. All my posts have been researched and accurate. To suggest that I am here to piss people off is presumptuous, to write it publicly is down right rude, and I resent your inference. I am here to inform people of the facts and debate the issues.

I posted here on in introduction area to say hello, it is a friendly gesture. The last thing I expected was an insulting and rude reply from the moderator. Please keep your vulgarities out of the public forum, you should know better and should have used a personal message to address me if you felt you had to. I am completely at a loss as to why you would be so rude.

I would appreciate that you remove you post from this thread or at least reword it, minus the insults.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

To be clear laytonsdad is not a moderator, but a forum leader.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi Blindman67,

First, let me welcome you to Dream.in.Code. From the sounds of your intro post, it sounds like you have a lot of experience and a great deal to contribute. I think what everyone is trying to say is to tone down the "getting one's jollies" approach in the help forums, and instead use the Caffeine Lounge as a place to hang out and blow off a little steam.

Topics where the intent is like this, are probably not appropriate for the help and topical discussion forums. This is really less debating of the facts, and more trolling. Feel free to shoot me a PM if there is legitimate confusion as to the difference of trolling vs. discussion.

View PostBlindman67, on 20 March 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

The OP is happily smug knowing he is never wrong, knows exactly what he is doing and is quietly contemplating where next to poke the stick. oh and still awaits an answer.

POKE 702,128

That being said, factual and topical discussions/debates are great threads to start! I'm sure you have a lot to contribute to such discussions.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums becoming a part of the community! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 March 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Welcome!

When I find time I like to poke around forums and stir things up a bit. I get my biggest kicks when told it cant be done, its impossible, or that's not how you do it.

I would advocate not baiting folk since that cuts close to trolling.

I am not baiting people. Like I elaborated, I am unconventional, I think outside the box. I like to make people think about what they do and question the status quo. By stir thing up a bit I do not mean in any provocational way, I mean in a intellectual thought provoking way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 March 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

Hi Blindman67,

That being said, factual and topical discussions/debates are great threads to start! I'm sure you have a lot to contribute to such discussions.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums becoming a part of the community! :)/>

Hi macosxnerd101

Thank you for the welcome, I feel much better reading something positive rather than many of the aggressive responses.

I do hope I can do my part and contribute in a positive way.

I am hoping to find some like minded coders from back in the day and I guess my POKE 702, 128 will not find its mark here, it is rather obscure, but any low level coders from the early 80's should know what it means. At the time it was the most popular home PC and Games machine around. The Atari 400, 800XL and the 2600. The poke 702,128 refers to setting memory location 702 (hardware register) to the byte value 128 (0x80) This register sets the mapping address of the keyboard to read from RAM rather than ROM.

I used to use it as a colloquialism, meaning "freedom of speech." I can map my keyboard how ever I like.

Guess I was letting the posters get to me, they can be rather rude I think.

So thanks for saying hello and see you in the forumns.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Guess I was letting the posters get to me, they can be rather rude I think.

Sometimes people can be direct, and it can be misread on a text environment. I think if you avoid comments like this one below, you'll get better results. Welcome again! I look forward to seeing your contributions. :)

The OP is happily smug knowing he is never wrong, knows exactly what he is doing and is quietly contemplating where next to poke the stick. oh and still awaits an answer.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

I meant no disrespect and only wish to keep the learning area for just that, learning. I look forward to any positive contributions you have in the help forum and simply wanted to inform you that we have different sections for things that may be controversial and intense. Please don't feel like you are not welcome to contribute to the forum, I would just encourage proper placement of your threads.

Also I would like to say, I didn't mean that your individual responses are shit, I simply meant that in the help sections we don't need to be bickering about things, but simply giving guidance to those that need it and discuss things that are relevant. I did not feel like your discussion was ridiculous until you refused to admit that the id of an element is supposed to be unique. I only want this to be a good learning environment and a great place to hang, but there are places to post things so as not to interrupt the user coming only to seek answers.

So again I will welcome you to DIC, and I look forward to your contributions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Blindman67  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for the clarification. I was completely unaware that the Javascript section was reserved for students. I will be more careful in future when posting to that area. I did post a thread there on typing in Javascript and will keep it more at that level with and eye on educating rather than encouraging people to rethink how the web is used and what it is to be a developer.

BTW I never refused to believe that id is supposed to be unique. I know the W3C standards almost off by heart. I was trying to point out the dangers of making assumptions based on standards that are not enforced in the real world. Ambiguity is very dangerous in programming and as the browser is rapidly becoming the preferred application host its about time the development community starts questioning standards rather than blindly following.

The W3C has a lot to answer for, the HTML5 spec still is not finished (How long do they want). Browsers and developers are what really drives progress and innovation, and history has shown consistently that market leaders do not wait for standards they set the standards.

Anyways, thanks again for clarifying. :tup:

Blindman.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

While much of our audience consists of students at the high school and college levels, we also have many hobbyists and professionals here too. Discussions are great! As you clarified, you're interested in making positive contributions. I think we're all on the same page then. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1