• +

28 Replies - 1344 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 12:12 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Spring/Summer 2014 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

For those not in the know we've taken a positive action on fitness in the community. Most of us sit hunched over a desk in florescent little self made caves for entirely too long each day. What can we say - we love what we do. It doesn't mean that we can go off and neglect our health! A few less hot pockets, giant redbulls, and fast food coupled with maybe taking the stairs, going into that not-so-scarey thing called a gym, or taking up an outdoor hobby can do wonders for a better sense of well being.

If you have questions about where to start, the benefits, tips on what to work on, interesting articles and finds, or just feel like toot'n your horn on personal achievements drop them here. Also if have tips on any healthy recipes or routines we welcome those!

There's never a bad time to start and everyone is quite helpful. If you have questions just ask!

---------------

Seasonal changes, and a trending towards warmer and outdoor condusive activities! It is definitely a good time to change up your routine, expand it, and set some new goals to aim for!

The winter was okay-ish in terms of maintaining.. No massive gains, but importantly not a huge back slide. I opted against a stationary bike for winter due to space and general cost for something decent, but I may change that later this year. I think I will also try and do more out door walking/light yogging.. if for anything than to get some sun and fresh air. my cousin is doing some half marathon-ish runs with his kids and new lady friend, and I wouldn't mind ambling towards that.. though I may need to buy actual shoes for running versus my old pair of Chuck Taylors.

How about everyone else? Any major changes from their winter routine to summer routines? New dietary tricks, paths, or recipes? Goals to hit by the end of the summer?

---------------

Miscellaneous links:
supersloth created a fitocracy dic group..
100 no-equipment workouts

Historical links:
(for ideas check the first posts, and general commentary, research, etc)
Spring-Summer 2014
Spring-Summer 2013
Fall/Winter 2012 Fitness
Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness
Fall/Winter 2011 Fitness
Summer 2011 Fitness

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Spring/Summer 2014 Fitness

#2 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring/Summer 2014 Fitness

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Winter recap:
November - Quit smoking
Dec-Feb - Gained 18 bajillion pounds (still squeezing my ass into the same size pants, but I kind of look like a busted can of biscuits)
March - Working toward getting back on track

Bring it on, spring!

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

I gained all the weight back that I lost due to not being able to do work when I got injured. :( I JUST NOW got back to real work the past 2 weeks, and have already lost 3 lbs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

trying to get down to 160 or 150 (gonna see how 160 looks first) to get ready for summer. I'm at 168 right now, putting my BMI at 24.8. This is the first time I've not been "overweight" in years :)

I should probably hit the gym though. It's impossible to find motivation however when you spent all day at school and then at work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

Winter was ok for me. I didn't run as much but managed to maintain my weight through all the Holidays and extra cold weather here in Texas. Now I am going to back on track with running three times a week and getting the kids out and moving too. Trying to still increase my pull-ups and strength exercises. Been still thinking of joining a gym for the free weights but just don't really don't know where to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

I haven't exercised in for-fricking-ever.

Haven't gained any weight, but also haven't progressed any further in my goals. I can only blame my overly full life schedule at the moment. I have had literally no time or energy to think of doing anything :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

Things I have going for me this spring:

1. Diabetic child who refuses to properly self-manage. Hence, as of April 1, I'll be asking her doctor to put her back on her original restrictions which will result in a limited intake for everyone (since I refuse to allow one person in the house to indulge while denying another).

2. My roly-poly child, now that puberty has taken hold, is painfully aware of her roly-poly status and is very diligently trying to change that. She has essentially put herself on a slow, steady track to health. Bike rides, basketball, and evening walks coupled with refusal to consume junk food and instead noshing on fresh fruit and veggies when the snack attack hits.

3. A significant other who is just itching to get outside and go exploring and adventuring as soon as the damned snow stops. I'm keeping a running list of "Shit we wanna do"... it's several pages long at this point and consists primarily of inexpensive, mostly outdoorsy things to do together or with the kids. The goal is to see how many we can scratch off that list before the snow starts flying again.

Between the strict portion control required by #1, the complete lack of unhealthy foods demanded by #2, and the physical activity and nuts-and-berries-communing-with-nature-sing-kumbaya awesomely adorable hipster in #3, I'm anticipating a significant change by fall.

Here's hoping!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

I gave up my 4-day week and went back to four 9s and a 4 so that I'd have time to get to the gym before work. I've been going strong for weeks, and my back seems to be doing good. I'm still not comfortable doing squats (which sucks): I'm not sure if I actually feel unstable or if I'm just really freaked out by the thought of tweaking my back again with weight on my shoulders, but the last time I tried, I got about 3 reps in with just 135 on and it just didn't feel right. I'll get there, I just have to focus more on core (abs and lower back) than I ever have in the past.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

you could try good morning's at low weight to build up back strength
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Good-morning
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

That looks pretty spot on to what I need. I quit deadlifting/cleaning/etc. when I quit playing high school football, and I've never really done any adequate back training since. Probably why I'm in this situation now...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

they're really helpful. a few weeks building up weight on those and you should at least get comfortable working squats into the mix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Good deal, thanks for that. I've been trying something similar on a machine but I hate machines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

yeah the machine is probably doing the support work that you actually need to get stronger at. the gift and the curse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Boxing has been going great - I'm so glad I picked that up. I've been pretty consistent about hitting the gym. My greatest enemy is work overflowing into my life, which often means the gym is the first to go.

It's also running season again (I decided this was the year I ditched running entirely until winter was over, and I don't regret it at all). I'm slowly ramping back into more than 2 miles per run. My only goals for the summer are to keep running, lifting, and boxing and avoid any injury.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yay garbage internet and double posts.

This post has been edited by xclite: 21 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +