3 Replies - 1243 Views - Last Post: 26 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can I develop a database application in 2 months?

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I am an IT student and and as part of graduation Im required to do a project, my project is a SQL database with a Java UI application to manage it (of the scale to manage a supermarket, a bookstore.. etc), but due to the number of subjects I had and a due to a late start I roughly have only 2 months for it, so I am wondering can it be reasonably done in that time?

I know the basics of Java and SQL with some experience but have never tried to develop a full application of realistic size. Any opinions appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can I develop a database application in 2 months?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I develop a database application in 2 months?

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

but due to the number of subjects I had and a due to a late start I roughly have only 2 months for it, so I am wondering can it be reasonably done in that time?

Yes? No? Maybe? No one really knows your actual skill level so this is a roll of the dice on the answer.

My only suggestion - plan everything a head time. Features, functions, user interactions, needs, etc. Then figure out what is the bare minimum to run, get that done, and then add any extra gold plating. If you are worried about doing this in two months then you should not be running off all willynilly and coding off the cuff. You will need a plan.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

Yep, definitely doable, but if you haven't done it before it's going to take some time and pain.

Take modi's advice and plan it out first. All of the features you want to implement, on paper, make sure you know what has to happen well before you turn your computer on.

Is this a console application, or something more elaborate (web application, swing application)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

If it is going to be a swing application, I suggest just going with functional UI (aka programmer UI) rather than pretty UI. Get your program running up and running first, then go back and make the UI prettier later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1