2 Replies - 971 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Systems interface automated integrated testing

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hi,
this is my first post - hopefully one of many and I can contribute down the line.

We're currently running unit tests on Hudson on C++ code running on AIX. We have developed our own tool for that and are satisfied with it. Its purpose is mainly to test individual functions or classes.

We have many systems interfaces that usually consist of either data being dropped in a watched folder or input in a DB queue, goes through processing and ends up being imported in our databases, or the other way around in the case of exports.

We want to run automated integrated tests on these interfaces, and we're wondering if some framework is already out there that would facilitate that and be specialized in testing systems interfaces. So far we have tried creating tests in ksh but they end up requiring more maintenance than the code they're trying to test.

Have any of you had any experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Phil

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Systems interface automated integrated testing

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Systems interface automated integrated testing

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

I think you meant "integration testing" rather than "integrated testing", but it's been a few years since I've been in academia and the terms may have changed.

Anyway, most forms of integration testing are custom built for the application that they are testing. Yes, there are some tools that make things easier like driving web pages or clicking buttons on GUI apps. For your case where all your IO is based on files or database inserts, you'll just have script it -- which seems to be exactly what you've done with ksh.

One of the things you can do is institute a policy where developers not only have to fix breaking unit tests, but breaking integration tests as well. E.g. you-broke-it-you-fix-it. Since developers should be making small changes at a time, they can make targeted changes to the unit and integration tests because they know exactly what was affected. This will save time as compared to having the tester first discovering that the integration test is broken, and then dig through the source control system to try to see what changed, and then talk to the developer to find out the reason for the change, and then finally update the integration test to make it succeed again.

I don't know how to resolve merge conflicts in a database, though, if you have two developers trying to make a change in an integration test that involves the same row in the database. Perhaps put them in a room with nerf weapons and the person who walks out gets to keep his changes? Have a Magic the Gathering tournament?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Systems interface automated integrated testing

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Nerf weapons - well see, there is something out there to facilitate all this.
Yeah I guess we won't find a magic tool for something that is so generic - ksh certainly doesn't seem like the most user/programmer friendly way to go however - we'll have to look into some other scripting languages. Maybe Scala...

Thanks
Phil
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1