12 Replies - 3747 Views - Last Post: 16 November 2007 - 05:50 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Python easiest?

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

My teacher told me to learn at least one programming language. I chose Python because I heard it's the easiest, but I am having lots of difficulties. Should I try and learn something else?

-confused in Alabama
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is Python easiest?

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Python easiest?

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

Python isn't necessarily any 'easier' than any other language; what you need to do is find a language that suits the way you think(or change the way you think to match the language you're using). How are you attempting to learn it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

I started by learning Java and C++, but as I turned to Python, I found it to be very simple to pick up. My brother first learned programming through Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

It's much more natural than languages like C++ or Java, however that doesn't mean programming itself will be easy. If you are learning your first programming language than I suggest sticking with it. Programming languages for the most part are not that different; once you learn one it is much easier to pick up others. It is getting used to thinking like a program that takes some getting used to. Trying to find an "easier" language will not really help you in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

I'll put it like this.

Python is easy to learn but more than useless in my opinion. I had to learn it for my programming class. We did some crazy things with it like make Pac-Man and Asteroids, but I still can't really get over the fact that you have to have the python shell installed on a computer to run any of the programs you make. It's idiotic and you can't really share it with everybody because it's not in an EXE format. I suggest C++ as your language. In all honesty, I didn't find C++ that hard to learn when you take it step by step. Matter-of-fact, this is the book I used http://www.amazon.co...ASIN/032135656X I recommend it whenever people are trying to program. It's a great help and will have you doing interesting things in no time.

Python IS an easy language, but C++, I believe... is more effective.

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Python makes it easy to do things. It shields you from a lot of things (compared to C for example) and you get more done in less lines of code. Programming as a task isn't easy (if you don't make trivial programs), no matter what the language is. Syntax is just remembering, programming skill comes with experience, time and curiosity.

So just pick a language and get coding ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Is Python easiest? You'd certainly think so, from all the hype. ;)

Computer problems are computer problems and their essential nature doesn't vary. The same basic problems may be solved in any language. In some languages, certain problems seem easier to get a handle on than others. Such languages will claim they are "better" for such problems. It's really mostly a matter of taste.

IMHO, the same stuff that make Python good starter language may also make it a bad one. It shields you from needing to really understand fundamentals of type, variable, class, structure. Which is good to hit the ground running with. But, ultimately, you'll have to learn those things. And, in such languages it's hard to get across why you should care.

I personally like strict, tightly typed languages. All the things that loosely typed, or at least dynamically typed, languages claim as victory I see as a potential weakness prone to the laws of Murphy.

In the end, the easiest language is that one that makes sense to you. After all, calculus is easy, if your brain works like Isaac Newton's. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

View Postsiylence, on 20 Oct, 2007 - 08:24 AM, said:

Python is easy to learn but more than useless in my opinion. I had to learn it for my programming class. We did some crazy things with it like make Pac-Man and Asteroids, but I still can't really get over the fact that you have to have the python shell installed on a computer to run any of the programs you make. It's idiotic and you can't really share it with everybody because it's not in an EXE format.

Please do not state completely incorrect information as fact. Whatever your opinions are on the language, you are completely wrong in stating that you can only run it through the python shell. Just like you wouldn't send someone the .cpp files when you want to share a C++ program, you wouldn't send people the .py files if they don't have python. You can compile python code into executables just like pretty much anything else. Python is more natural and easier to pick up than C++, however it is still a powerful language. It is not normally used for graphic intensive games, but if used correctly it can do that as well. For example, check out Eve Online (http://eve-online.com/) which uses a special version of Python to handle a very graphic intensive, massive application, which from what I've played, runs far more smoothly than many comparable games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

Wow... didn't know eve-online was programmed in python. Very cool!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:25 AM

A large majority of video games and online companies (Elder Scrolls : Oblivion, eve-online) are using python for their graphics because you can do a lot with a little to put it simply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

View Postmocker, on 20 Oct, 2007 - 09:56 PM, said:

View Postsiylence, on 20 Oct, 2007 - 08:24 AM, said:

Python is easy to learn but more than useless in my opinion. I had to learn it for my programming class. We did some crazy things with it like make Pac-Man and Asteroids, but I still can't really get over the fact that you have to have the python shell installed on a computer to run any of the programs you make. It's idiotic and you can't really share it with everybody because it's not in an EXE format.

Please do not state completely incorrect information as fact. Whatever your opinions are on the language, you are completely wrong in stating that you can only run it through the python shell. Just like you wouldn't send someone the .cpp files when you want to share a C++ program, you wouldn't send people the .py files if they don't have python. You can compile python code into executables just like pretty much anything else. Python is more natural and easier to pick up than C++, however it is still a powerful language. It is not normally used for graphic intensive games, but if used correctly it can do that as well. For example, check out Eve Online (http://eve-online.com/) which uses a special version of Python to handle a very graphic intensive, massive application, which from what I've played, runs far more smoothly than many comparable games.

You show me how to do that, and I'll take back what I said. So far, none of the py2exe things work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

View Postsiylence, on 20 Oct, 2007 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'll put it like this.

Python is easy to learn but more than useless in my opinion. I had to learn it for my programming class. We did some crazy things with it like make Pac-Man and Asteroids, but I still can't really get over the fact that you have to have the python shell installed on a computer to run any of the programs you make. It's idiotic and you can't really share it with everybody because it's not in an EXE format. I suggest C++ as your language. In all honesty, I didn't find C++ that hard to learn when you take it step by step. Matter-of-fact, this is the book I used http://www.amazon.co...ASIN/032135656X I recommend it whenever people are trying to program. It's a great help and will have you doing interesting things in no time.

Python IS an easy language, but C++, I believe... is more effective.

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup

You're wrong. Python scripts can be easily converted to .exe files with for example py2exe script [ http://www.py2exe.org/ ]
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:50 AM

'How to Think Like a Computer Scientist using Python' is a great starter book if you have problems learning how to program with the Python language. It's the first book in Python I've read and it excellent. Try it out and see if you have any more trouble! :)

PDF format:
http://www.greenteap...hon/thinkPP.pdf

HTML format:
http://www.greenteap...inkpython/html/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1