3 Replies - 4386 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Vim for Java

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Assuming a few things here first:
  • I'm fast with Vim (Ex SysAdmin, you almost have to be)
  • Auto-completion bugs me unless I make it custom
  • IDEs are too visually cluttered to me

The question is, how crazy would I be to try this?

Auto-completion, as I mentioned, bothers me a lot. Even if it knows what I want 8/10 times, that 2/10 is annoying. I've custom configured macros and my own auto-completers before in Vim, and I've found that it forces me to really know a language.

IDEs are incredibly cluttered to me, with too much going on. Vim allows me to focus solely on the code. As far as debuggers and break points, there's probably a tool out there to either interface with Vim or interactively step things.

I know there are Vim plugins, but most are maybe a half-functional copy that tend to break when you try anything fancy like remapping keys.

Admittedly I'm biased, and I consider my mouse partially evil.

Has anyone else really done this? I would assume so as there's an eclim plugin (headless eclipse for vim) among other things. I want to hear the opinions of a few more senior Java types.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Vim for Java

#2 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Vim for Java

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

I use vim for many things, including the java help I post here. You can, of course, have all kinds of plugins. There's one called SingleCompile that's great, until it's not. I'm sure there's better stuff.

My workflow for this board looks something like:
:e scratch.java
:! cat >> %  -- paste buffer into file, I usually use console vim, not gvim
:lcd %:h -- this one is fun, cd to the directory containing the work file
-- do work
:! javac %
:! java scratch
:! cat % -- to dump to a console screen, so I can copy to a buffer and paste in a post

I've tried some more involved, integrated, plugins, but they tend not to play well with others and make too many assumptions.

I should mention there is a jVi editor plugin in Netbeans. It's quirky, but works for a surprising amount of stuff. However, it's hardly light and I usually end up bailing on it and just going to an editor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:47 AM

u should prob switch that up
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

Please note that this conversation died a quick and painless death about two years ago. If you think there's anything new to add here, you might want to say a few more words. You know, actually add something constructive, that sort of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1