2 Replies - 981 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2014 - 06:01 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

What software to use for Database Design?

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hi guys

Simple question really.

I'm wanting to make myself some databases to use for my self-employment. Accounts, time sheet, mileage, that type of stuff, but I want to be able to access them on my phone and laptop; I'd be switching between the two. I'd also like them to communicate between each other (an optional feature).

Now, I am familiar with Access, and I know of FileMaker, but I don't know what to go for.

Essentially, I want to use C#, as that is what I'm most familiar with, because of Unity. I want to publish it to WP, iOS and Android, and I know Xamarin does this (like Unity). I also want Web and Desktop versions too.

So, what is the best way? Could I use Access, using C#, and then publish using Xamarin, or is FileMaker the best way?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What software to use for Database Design?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What software to use for Database Design?

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:21 AM

I don't fully grasp your concept, but your choice of software is very dependent on how you want to deploy this program (across multiple operating systems).

If you are looking to create a database application that is accessible by a web service end point from applications running on various operating systems, you could accomplish that with C# for the database program, and your choice of database (and I would go with MySQL or PostgreSQL personally, but Access is probably fine).

As for the clients on WP, iOS and Android, those apps will either need to be coded for each operating system (i.e. C# for WP, Objective C for iOS and Java for Android), or you could make a web (HTML, Javascript) front end and each phone could just load the web page and interact that way (easier option).

It's not trivial, but it's doable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What software to use for Database Design?

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:01 AM

Also consider what will happen if you are at location with weak or no signal, or worse yet, transition from a place with signal to a location without signal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1