3 Replies - 390 Views - Last Post: 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Resources, Computers and hardware etc.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hey guys,

I recently posted here how I might get into computer science and the responses were very helpful, now I was wondering what kind of hardware and other resources I might need in order to make the most of my education in the field.

Basically what do I need computer wise? I know hardware pretty well but I am not sure whether the things I will be doing will lean towards being RAM intensive or need more threads etc.

I can build a powerful PC if needed but will avoid if something as basic as an up-to-date laptop will suffice. Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resources, Computers and hardware etc.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resources, Computers and hardware etc.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Most, if not all, modern machines will do fine. Multicore, 4gb+ RAM, and a decent hard drive are fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Oh, I forgot to include which Operating System is best? I have use Windows for as long as I have known computers, but I have heard that a "Hackintosh" or Linux RedHat or Ubuntu are all good for the task. I do understand that each has their advantages/disadvantages and some are better for writing certain applications or programs but I was wondering what the best all-rounder would be?

Also is there any one compiler that can be purchased/used for pretty much any language? or does each have it's own? :3

(Sorry about the double post, I hate it when I see it but I am unable to use the "edit" button until I hit 16 posts)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

I do understand that each has their advantages/disadvantages and some are better for writing certain applications or programs but I was wondering what the best all-rounder would be?

Then you don't know the first part of your statement and will try to incite a fanboi war.

With the advent of VM (virtual machines) you can have any number of operating systems, and (for the most part) any type.

Also is there any one compiler that can be purchased/used for pretty much any language?

No.. there is not one master compiler.

or does each have it's own? :3

A compiler doesn't go to a language for a language can have multiple IDE and compilers that use the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1