5 Replies - 5692 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

April: Forum of the Month - Introduction

Post icon  Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

The forum of the Month for April falls on the shoulders of Graphic Design! I hope to turn on the light and bring a few more folk into the fold.

What is it?
Graphic design is a little hard to nail down. Some of it is photos, some typography, others vector poster art, etc. Oddly folks tend to think that 'graphic design' and 'web design' go hand in hand. while that does happen it doesn't mean they are synonymous. I know quite a few folk who are graphic designers that, begrudgingly, wear the web design hat, and some web designers that get shoveled all the graphics work because web design is more artsy than say your run of the mill java code.

Also not all graphic designers do the same thing. I know a guy who is really really REALLY into typography as in a bit over borderline obsessive with it, but if you asked him to draw a dog or come up with a decent two toned color scheme! Just like programming not everyone has the same skill set or interest, and when you look a bit deeper you can find the different niche areas.

A little more loose at DIC
Here, at DIC, we lump all the 'artsie' stuff into this forum - so there is not a strong delineation of roles, but that's fine. Be it matte painting, collage, photography, clay, doodler, icon creating, UI, photo-chop, concept art, infographics, vectors, grunge, retro, animation, etc - we'll huddle here and make camp!

Typically we have a 'signature of the month' contest that runs pretty well. Get a theme, spend some time working out an imagine in the size, and see how you fair in the popular opinion of the forum!

We also have a 'gallery' pinned thread for some current work, and bit more polished than work-in-progress.

Other members have on going threads for their work (Lemur and snoopy11 - I'm looking at you), or trade questions on software choices.

If you have any specific topics you would like to cover drop a message here, or if you are looking to show off what you've done mention it as well!

I am a big proponent of folks picking up a pen or pencil and doodle away. You may share it or not - but at least you exercised that imagination and created something! Why not try it out this month? Nothing big, nothing fancy, but at least you've attempted it!

Everyone Should Make a Painting

More to come as the month goes on!

Edit:
-----
Signature of the Month (April 2014)
Resources, links, inspiration, and utilities!
Design our reputation award badges competition

This post has been edited by stayscrisp: 05 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: April: Forum of the Month - Introduction

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: April: Forum of the Month - Introduction

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

So.... is this DIC's April fools?

Also, I noticed that pr0n wasn't in the list of "art" trying to stifle freedom of speech are we? ;P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

Nope.. no fool'n happening here.

As for your pr0n.. two things. First - I figured that was under 'photography' and/or 'photo-chop'. Second - slow down there tiger. This dame isn't the sort of dish the goods out on the first post! Patience!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

The latest 'signature of the month' contest is up with the big theme reveal.

Read more here: Signature of the Month (April 2014)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

A started thread for: Resources, links, inspiration, and utilities!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Thread started for the reputation awards design competition:

Reputation award design competition
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +