1 Replies - 1015 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

deploying and programatically configuring 500+ PCs

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

My organisation is about to deploy 500+ Raspberry Pi's(running Debian) across the country. I have been given the task of configuring these devices. Configuration depends on specific installation, so cannot be configured before installation and the staff at the remote site seriously lack skills. BTW These remote sites are between 50 and 1000km distant from where we are based.
Each of these remote sites will be connecting these Raspberry Pis(RPi) to a Windows server which will be on an Intranet(No internet access).
I think that I need a program, probably running on the aforementioned server, to make the configuration of the RPis as fool proof as possible for the remote staff to do the configuration.
My background is Linux(so the RPi's are not an issue), C, C++, HTML and PHP. Not much Windows.
My initial thought on program development is HTML but connecting to each RPi without knowing its IP would be a challenge. On Linux I could do something with ntop but how to do this on Windows?
All suggestions on how I should proceed are welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: deploying and programatically configuring 500+ PCs

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: deploying and programatically configuring 500+ PCs

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

View Poststraygrey, on 02 April 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

My initial thought on program development is HTML ...

Keep in mind that HTML is not a programming language; you can't program anything in HTML. You'd need Javascript and/or a server-side language to do web-based programming.

View Poststraygrey, on 02 April 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

On Linux I could do something with ntop but how to do this on Windows?

I'm fairly certain there is a ntop implementation for Windows, although I've never actually used it.

However, what my mind immediately jumped to when you described this was: UPnP. I can't tell you exactly how to implement anything using that, as I haven't looked into that much, but it should provide a good way to get a bunch of different network devices talking to each other without each of them needing to know addresses for the others before hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1