Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Signature of the Month (April 2014)

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Nice one.

I like this month's topic. The thing is that we don't necessarily read the same books.

If I find an accessible scene that doesn't belong to The Lord of the Rings and the likes I'll participate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

View Postdepricated, on 09 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Definitely a great scene! I'd been looking forward to it since the series started, and I did a spittake during the Battle of Blackwater when Bran started singing the Rains of Castamere (iirc that was the episode that ended with someone singing it over the credits). It didn't have the same gravity to me in the TV show as it did the book, but there wasn't really much foreshadowing to it in the book and there was lots in the show. I was shocked, stunned, moreso than when Ned was killed in Book 1.

I'm still reading my way through the books. I'm almost done with the first one. I'd shocked the hell out of me, but I also didn't see it coming for having read the books.

View Postdepricated, on 09 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

That said, I don't really get into the fan community - how has it become a litmus test?

Just in the fact that you can say the words 'red wedding' to anyone, and going by the existence or lack of the coming emotional tantrum tell if they're a fan or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I was alone. I was thinking of you.

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

What if they're Lannister fans?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Nobody's a true Lannister supporter. Some people are Jaime/Tyrion/Tywin fans, but nobody wants Joffrey to win. At least I hope.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I was alone. I was thinking of you.

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

I always felt sorry for Joffrey. Like, it's not his fault he's an insufferable douchenozzle, that's what he was raised to be. His drunk 'father' ignoring him and just giving him whatever he wanted, his mother constantly protecting him and sheltering him, he never learned empathy, never learned moderation. He learned that anything he wanted he could have, and he learned there were no consequences for his actions. If he wanted to torment Sansa, she'd still marry him. He was gonna be King after all. The only thing he learned was to play the Game of Thrones like a Lannister, and he did it ruthlessly because he was raised to be a sociopath. When he was first exposed to empathy, with Margery, he understood it only as it applied to the Great Game, a tool he could exploit to solidify his power.

Think of the utter shock, confusion, and indignant rage he showed towards Tyrion when Tyrion wouldn't indulge him the way his parents had, and forced everyone else to.

Tommen is a sweet boy. He saw the fallout from his brother, and he learned empathy well and quickly because he was cared for. He wasn't raised to be King, that was Joffrey's job, and so he was raised with love from Cersei if not Robert. He was given the education, but not fawned over as a firstborn or as a future King.

Myrcella was raised to be like Cersei and has not yet been emotionally destroyed. She is ready to be married off for political gain, and her time in Dorne will be a treat - for those who haven't read the books I won't say more.

Tyrion is outright badass.

Cersei and Jaime are twins, and in many ways are very similar in the way they think. They're not bad people, though Cersei does a terrible job of attaining her goals. She struggles with the pride of being Queen and Lannister, and stress from all the expectation that that thrusts upon her. This causes her to sometimes act against her better judgment for the sake of penalizing or rewarding someone else (such as the case of using Sansa to prove a point about rebellion and keeping her around because Joffrey still wants to keep her).

Jaime, much like Cersei, lives under the pressure of his rank. Scion of Lannister, he is fiercely protective of the things he loves, and ruthless in guarding them. His ambition isn't as blind as Cersei's, though. He killed the Mad King and sat the throne himself, but gave it up to Robert, if hesitantly. He knew the Lannisters would rule in spirit if not name. When he, to his shock, fell in love with Breanne, he didn't hesitate for a minute to protect her with the same ruthless ferocity that Cersei shows in protecting her babies.

Tywin. . . poor Tywin. He's in a tough spot. A father who nearly bankrupted the House by the time he came to power. Tytos was a weak leader, ignored by his vassal families. Near the end of Tytos' reign, it was under Tywin's direction that any respect for the house was found. It was Tywin who made an example of the Reynes of Castamere after the Tarbeck Rebellion. He had to fight tooth and nail for every ounce of respect he gets, and he demands it in droves. He refuses to be seen as his father was and fears that his House will fall to shame if he slackens up on being a hardass. He is a man driven and ruled by the ghosts of his past. He hates Tyrion because Tyrion's form is an embarassment to the family, and because his birth killed his beloved Joanna. He grows to hate Cersei and Jaime as weaklings like his father, certain they'll run the House into the ground - and begins to realize that Tyrion was the only one to inherit his mind, driving him to hate all three all the more.

Lancel is on shaky ground, probably the most devout of the family, eventually joining the Warrior's Sons. There's no backstory I'm aware of to Kevan's other children, but I might have overlooked it.

And then there's Gerion. He's only appeared as exposition, never having made an appearance. He's presumed dead, but I expect he will show up allying with Daenerys.

HEAR ME ROAR
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

how about my signature

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Okay - stumped.. what literature scene is that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Geeze this is creeping up faster than I expected, and all I have is a mess of pencil shavings and eraser bits and some half finished ideas. tick-tock. I think I have one, but it'll be an interesting look into 'negative space'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#27 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Heh.. good ol' Anne Stokes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostSlice, on 23 April 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

The Hobbit.

It took me a while to remember what this scene was from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Aight.. sorry about the delay.. I ended up having my evening blown out of the water. Let me see if I can get this over in a 'voting' poll.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +