2 Replies - 402 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2014 - 02:58 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Designing C++ games?

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

This is probably a while away, but I have a question regarding game design with C++. If I want to create a game, What would be the best way to create a cohesive outline and help me determine what I need to create? For example, a way to map out the layouts, menu, selections, data, etc. It seems mind boggling and I have no idea how a game thats not snake or pong can be created in an organized way.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Designing C++ games?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Designing C++ games?

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

I would read up on 'game design', and sit down and thing about fairly simple games.. like Tetris. What are the needed parts (visually, input, behind the scenes), actors, actions, rules for play, screens, etc. Then branch out to more and more complex games. You'll get an eye for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Designing C++ games?

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

I agree with you that it's going to be a long while. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not sure I'm there yet. I think you will have written a few games more complicated than Pong before it really becomes a serious issue to you.

Personally, I'm just very happy working object oriented. So far, just making every component in my work a seperate class with a small amount of inheritence is working very well for me, including in DirectX with C++.

But I think lordofduct is our resident expert on this subject. He's way over my head, but then again, this may be one of my weakest areas and one where plenty of people on here are ahead of me on. But I've been wanting to go back over some of what lordofduct has written on this subject.

His "article" on the subject was written specifically for XNA. But it's not XNA specific. XNA just happens to be laid out with this exact design pattern, which makes XNA a very appropriate place to teach it. But what he's talking about is language independent. So, it applies just as much to C++ as it does to anything else. You just may have to setup a little more foundation in C++ for it, whereas it's at least partially built into XNA/C#.

But what he's discussing there is a bit over my head. I can see the brillance in it, but I'm going to have to go back and spend some time studying it to actually understand it. I can tell you that its basically how Unity as well as XNA are setup. It seems to be very common in the game industry.

But keep in mind that it's advanced stuff. You can probably design a lot of games before you get into anything that complicated. If you're a beginner (I don't know your level), I would focus more on the fundamentals of good coding such as good object oriented practices, learning to comment, properly scoping your variables, and so forth. I think mastering that will go a long ways in the first couple of years. Then you can ease into something more advanced like what lordofduct suggests.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 04 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1