2 Replies - 473 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is a Code Signing Certificate important?

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

I have written a Windows application for pet owners that I want to sell through pet supply retailers, vets, and possibly Ebay. I want to sell the application on CDs, not downloads.

I know Code Signing Certificates are important when selling applications via downloads, but are they important when selling the way described above?

Thanks,

Dotty
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is a Code Signing Certificate important?

#2 Momerath  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is a Code Signing Certificate important?

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I have to ask, why not downloads? It's the way stuff is sold now. Even when I get new hardware I rarely use the install disks because, most likely, there is a newer version on the manufacturers website. You also run the risk of having CDs made, then having to throw them away as you have a new version. You could do on-demand burning but that will take you away from your development and selling (not just selling to end users, but if you want it in stores you'll have to convince them to sell it, etc.)

That said, I download and install a lot of software to evaluate if it's something useful to me and my employer. If you don't have a certificate, I'm more likely to bypass your software as something you are doing as a hobby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Is a Code Signing Certificate important?

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

I was thinking CDs because I've never seen a pet store (my application is for pet owners), either on - line or brick and mortar, offer downloads. In addition, I prefer to have discs, as hard drives can crash.

Thanks,

Dotty
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1