2 Replies - 2084 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

School Project - Could use some cool ideas![Fingerprint Scan to lo

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hi! I haven't been here in years (still thanking all of you for help with Java homework). I am working on a long-term school project and could use some cool or different ideas to make this project better! I am obviously not asking for help to do any of it. I am still in the planning stages and I'm trying to plan out how this will all work.

So here is a basic overview of the project:

I am working on a project with 2 other people (web development major, digital forensics/information assurance major, network engineer major). We are looking to add an additional layer of security when logging in to a web application using biometrics (fingerprint scanner). We plan on creating a three party system that will authenticate a username, password, and biometric scan. Mhmmm, it would probably be easier to explain this in story form (sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things :P/>/>)

Jimmy is logging in to his bank account. When logging in, he enters his username, password, and then swipes his finger on the fingerprint scanner to authenticate himself. When he hits "log in" after he has done this, the username and password are validated on the bank's network, however, the biometric scan is sent to a third party server that will tell the bank if the biometric scan is validated.

The core objective of this project is to make a secure and easy way to log into a web application. How the data will transfer, how it's stored, and what the user-side application will look like is still up in the air. WebRTC has been thrown around quite a bit by our network engineer major, but we need to find the fastest (least amount of bandwidth used) and most secure way to transfer and store this data.

Any cool ideas you guys have? Right now we are sort of throwing around ideas at each other, not being sure if they will actually work or not.
Thanks! I would love to hear some awesome ideas!

P.S. Sorry if this in the wrong section, we aren't quite looking for help (in terms of actually doing the project) and this project isn't just software development.

EDIT: Looks like the title got chopped a little, my bad! The title is supposed to read "School Project - Could Use Some Cool Ideas![Fingerprint Scan To Login]"

This post has been edited by amathian: 05 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: School Project - Could use some cool ideas![Fingerprint Scan to lo

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: School Project - Could use some cool ideas![Fingerprint Scan to lo

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Telling a story to describe your problem is the perfect way to describe it. It's how Agile development works :)/>

As for your project. It's a fine idea, but all of it has been done before. If your project is to add something new to the world, this isn't it.

How about a project where you gather fingerprint scans from as many people as possible and then analyze the scans to see how many 'false positives' you'd get. Answer the question of "Do fingerprint scanners really work". Try different scanners from different manufactures. You could use something like the raspberry pi to develop kiosks. When someone approached it it could ask them their name and tell them a joke if they scan their fingerprint (and take a picture and include facial recognition too).

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Shisno.
Shisno who?
Dirty, dirty shisno.

This post has been edited by Momerath: 05 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: School Project - Could use some cool ideas![Fingerprint Scan to lo

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostMomerath, on 05 April 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Telling a story to describe your problem is the perfect way to describe it. It's how Agile development works :)/>/>

As for your project. It's a fine idea, but all of it has been done before. If your project is to add something new to the world, this isn't it.

How about a project where you gather fingerprint scans from as many people as possible and then analyze the scans to see how many 'false positives' you'd get. Answer the question of "Do fingerprint scanners really work". Try different scanners from different manufactures. You could use something like the raspberry pi to develop kiosks. When someone approached it it could ask them their name and tell them a joke if they scan their fingerprint (and take a picture and include facial recognition too).

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Shisno.
Shisno who?
Dirty, dirty shisno.

We aren't quite trying to make something "new", we are simply creating a project that in the scope of our majors and is approved by faculty.

I like you idea, it would be really cool to see how accurate fingerprint and other biometric scanners are. If I have time, I may so a little side project with this one and see how many false positives show up and ways to maybe physically fool the scanner itself. Sadly, being a poor student, I don't think I would be able to try anything else except fingerprints.

I will let you know if this ever happens! Now you have me interested :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1