• +

16 Replies - 2488 Views - Last Post: 25 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

#16 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please help me with a bit of advice regarding development internships

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

Greg is right on a really important point. There are a lot of misconceptions about internships floating around, and in this thread. The main one is that interning is about some sort of hazing ritual that schools and companies make you go through. This is nonsense. The point of an internship is primarily to have first crack at promising future employees, and to take a part in shaping them to be the sort of employees you'd like to have, and to have a chance to evaluate them in a work context before committing to them as full-on hires. I'm not sure that I've seen interns paid at full developer money, but certainly $15-$20/hour is standard in Boston, which is a good bit above minimum wage.

The idea that a company would pay even minimum wage - or even waste HR and developer time - to have some kid running around getting coffee is a pretty dumb idea. If you want to get coffee for your developers, you hire a barista who knows how to pull a good shot of espresso and doesn't expect to learn anything about code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Please help me with a bit of advice regarding development internships

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 11 April 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Greg is right on a really important point. There are a lot of misconceptions about internships floating around, and in this thread. The main one is that interning is about some sort of hazing ritual that schools and companies make you go through. This is nonsense. The point of an internship is primarily to have first crack at promising future employees, and to take a part in shaping them to be the sort of employees you'd like to have, and to have a chance to evaluate them in a work context before committing to them as full-on hires. I'm not sure that I've seen interns paid at full developer money, but certainly $15-$20/hour is standard in Boston, which is a good bit above minimum wage.

The idea that a company would pay even minimum wage - or even waste HR and developer time - to have some kid running around getting coffee is a pretty dumb idea. If you want to get coffee for your developers, you hire a barista who knows how to pull a good shot of espresso and doesn't expect to learn anything about code.

This is true - I have an internship now and it's expenses only paid until they've evaluated whether I can do the job. Seems like a good deal to me and costs me nothing. Worst case scenario I come away with great experience and an internship on my CV.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +