• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

64 Replies - 5982 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Game of Thrones

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

After hijacking the April Signature of the Month thread with Depricated, I realized there doesn't seem to be an ongoing Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice thread. I can't help but imagine there would be a lot of fans of the show/books on here, so here's the thread. I know I'm behind on the times, but I just binge watched the entire first three seasons and now I'm starting on the books. Somehow I've managed to go the last few years without being exposed to many GoT fans, so I'm curious to see what people think about the transition of the book series to the show, or about the series on general. So to get the important questions out of the way: Which medium were you exposed to first? Who are your favorite characters? Would you rather bang Emilia Clarke or Natalie Dormer?

tldr: Let's all argue for five pages about whether or not this thread is relevant.

Edit: Consider everything below this post to contain MASSIVE spoilers.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 11 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game of Thrones

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game of Thrones

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

I'll be the first to say it - I have never read the books nor watched the show.

From the general internet furor all I can suggest is this infographic on non/floppy weiners.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

If people are in anyway shocked at the amount of nudity and violence in the TV series, they would faint at the amount in the books. Some of it isn't shown because it isn't relevant enough to give time to, some isn't shown because it's to much for the fragile audience to handle.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

I thought it was funny that as much as they had to tone down the nudity and violence in the show, Theon's torture scene was actually WAY more drawn out and screwed up in the show.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

I think part of that was because of how much people wanted to see him punished for his previous actions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 depricated  Icon User is online

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:56 AM

I don't think it was particularly drawn out. It was several chapters in the book iirc.

My first exposure to the series was around 2006. I had just ended a pretty traumatizing 4 year relationship and moved in temporarily with a friend of mine while I got back on my feet. He, like me, reads a lot, so I asked him for suggestions. He goes to one bookshelf, asks if I want light or heavy. I say heavy so he hands me a Game of Thrones. Amusing side note: he was in the room with me when I read Ned's death, so I threw the book at him. He laughed and said, "got to the execution eh?"

My favorite character has always been Arya. I initially liked that she's determined to do what she wants because she wants to, screw what people expect of her. Once shit got hairy she just became a total badass. Tyrion was always a close second, for the same reason. I've never liked Jon Snow, but Samwell Tarly is a pretty cool character. Around book 3 I think, once you started having perspectives from Cersei and Jaime, I became a fan of the Lannisters.

As far as the conversion - I think the show is better than the books. I love the story, but George R.R. Martin is a terrible writer. GREAT storyteller, but he uses way too much purple prose and lives for cliches. Not to mention an odd obsession with describing the food everyone is eating. I'm pretty sure there's a chapter during Arya's stay in Harrenhal from the stew's perspective. On the other hand, Khal Drogo had no personality in the book. He was a very boring character and I always felt he was only there as a prop for Dany's story - almost a mcguffin. In the show, he was awesome. He had personality, I felt like he was his own character and was sad to see him go. I had always pictured Littlefinger and Varys swapped in terms of description - Littlefinger squat and fat, Varys willowy. Dunno why, I know that's not how they're described. I think the show does a fantastic job.

We should probably establish rules about spoilers in this thread, for those who haven't watched/read everything available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

View Postdepricated, on 11 April 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I read Ned's death, so I threw the book at him. He laughed and said, "got to the execution eh?"

-cut-

We should probably establish rules about spoilers in this thread, for those who haven't watched/read everything available.

Ned dies! A character played by Sean Bean? NOOOooo...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

George had wanted to get some of his stuff on screen for a while. When he ultimately wrote a giant epic mess that he knew would never be on screen, that's the one they used.

George's female characters generally suck. He's admitted as much. He's never written a sex scene between two men. And, honestly, he doesn't really write sex scenes: that's all HBO.

HBO has this odd policy of always showing enough flesh to keep them from being seen in main stream media uncut. Sometimes it's story. Sometimes it's just flashing cuz we're fucking HBO.

Of all the send ups I've seen, this one amused me the most. ( Other than fat shaming George: he's a nerd, leave him alone so he can dream of naked chicks on dragons... )

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

View Postdepricated, on 11 April 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

I don't think it was particularly drawn out. It was several chapters in the book iirc.

I honestly haven't gotten to it in the books yet. I just heard the same thing from two different people.

My favorite character has always been Arya. I initially liked that she's determined to do what she wants because she wants to, screw what people expect of her. Once shit got hairy she just became a total badass. Tyrion was always a close second, for the same reason. I've never liked Jon Snow, but Samwell Tarly is a pretty cool character. Around book 3 I think, once you started having perspectives from Cersei and Jaime, I became a fan of the Lannisters.

'Favorite' is tough for me. There are some characters that I like and want good things to happen to them, and there are some that are just interesting because their personalities are so fucked. The latter are guys like Varys, Ramsay Snow, and pretty much any Greyjoy. The former:

Tyrion is just the right combination of witty and ballsy to be awesome. I'm still waiting for the point when he's going to have to choose between his family and what he thinks is morally right. I know it's coming (I'm sure it has in the books). He's definitely my favorite, even if he's everyone elses too.

Daenarys is just badass. Things are going way too well for her though in the show. I hope she doesn't just manage to steamroll her way through Westeros that easily too. I'm sure she won't.

Jaqen H'ghar is really cool. From what I hear, there are subtle clues in the books that hint he's still around with a new face. I don't know if he has a target he's hunting or if any more has been seen of him, but he's definitely someone I want to find out more about when I catch up in the books.

The dancing instructor (whose name I can't remember) was awesome. Both in the show and in the book, we don't actually witness his death. I'm assuming (or hoping) that he did make it out alive somehow and we're going to see him again. I can't imagine what would have caused him to leave the city without attempting to track down Arya though. Maybe he couldn't. Nobody else has managed to find her.

I totally agree with you on Arya. She's a little badass. She's also the only Stark who isn't a complete idiot. I'm ignoring Bran and Rickon here, because only they're just now starting to develop as characters in the show.

Then there's Jaime. He is definitely one of my favorite characters - probably right under Tyrion - but I think he's been made WAY too easy to like now (at least in the show). One minute he's pushing kids out of windows, and the next he's the misunderstood guy that was secretly good the whole time. It's a really blatant and cliche anti-hero story arc that doesn't mix well with the gritty realism displayed by other characters. At least to me. The same can kind of be said for the Hound, though he kind of really did just seem to be misunderstood from the start.

Side note: I like Tyrion and Jaime, and to an extent Cersei, but I am definitely not a Lannister fan. I've liked Tyrion from the start, basically because his personality is the opposite of that of every other Lannister, and I didn't start liking Jaime until he started doing things that weren't very befitting of a Lannister. Individually they're all humans capable of doing good, but when they act as a family (and they always will eventually) there's nothing good to be said about the Lannisters.

In the signature thread you said a few things defending Joffrey. Yeah, he definitely wasn't raised properly by Robert, and that could account for some of his problems, but even still this kid is fucked up dude. He gets off on killing hookers with a crossbow. No amount of parenting is going to get rid of that.

How about this: Everything on the show is fair game, since we're out of season. If it's a spoiler from the books that hasn't happened on screen yet (unless it was just glossed over in the show), then keep it quiet.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 11 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 depricated  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

That spoiler rule works for me. Show is fair game, books are still secret.

So I'll say this: the reason I like Jaime is because he's selfish. In the show, you're right - he comes off with that misunderstood good guy look. In the books, when you get inside his head, it's different. The way he connects with Breanne and loses interest in Cersei isn't righteous, it's just self-absorbed.

I don't know how far in the books you are so I'll just say RAFO for a lot of your guesses. Jaqen is definitely still involved and has at least one more on-screen appearance coming up maybe this season or next (I forget which book he shows back up in with the new name/face, but it will be much easier to identify when they use the same actor).

Joffrey, ya, he's a cunt. All I'll say to that is KOF KOF KOF. He could have learned better, but instead he was raised to be insufferably hateful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostNtwiles, on 10 April 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Would you rather bang Emilia Clarke or Natalie Dormer?.

Emilia Clarke

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 April 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

Spoiler

Pod's a freaking pimp man.

View Postdepricated, on 11 April 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

I love the story, but George R.R. Martin is a terrible writer.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 depricated  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 11 April 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostNtwiles, on 10 April 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

Would you rather bang Emilia Clarke or Natalie Dormer?.

Emilia Clarke

See, in the books Daenerys is a child, so she just gets lumped into the children group (Arya, Joffrey, Sansa, Daenerys, Gendry, Bran, etc). It really goes a long way to make me have 0 interest in her.

Natalie Dormer, on the other hand...

View PostNeoTifa, on 11 April 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 11 April 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I also say this about J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert Jordan, and Ann Rice. I don't need 10 chapters of exposition about the mine that the metal used to forge Sauron's codpiece came from. I don't need an entire book of people going "hey, what's going on over there?" in response to the previous book. I don't need a novella about the banal life of a teacup. And I don't need chapters from the perspective of the grease that was sopped up on the heel of bread some pud soldier was eating.

This post has been edited by depricated: 11 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

You need to read more? There are some bloody awful writers that make a living; I don't consider George of their ilk. He knows his craft, though you may not care for how he applies it.

Not to mention an odd obsession with describing the food everyone is eating.

I rather think that's a nice touch. What and how people eat is meaningful in any society. Someone actually published a cookbook based on the series...

I agree, Drogo has nothing going on as a character. By extension, I find the Daenerys story line profoundly dull. He's obviously decided she's going to make it to the end, so keeps injecting her.

To be fair, I actually stopped reading the story at some point when I realized all the things I really enjoyed in it hadn't survived past book three or so.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

these are my favorites:

Tyrion I hope he becomes king
Daenarys -- no stopping her and her cunning ways
Jaqen H'ghar --death need a say more
The dancing instructor --kick ass with a tooth pick
Arya.--cunning and deadly I think she will rule at the end of it all
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Spoiler alert: theories that will fuck with your head.

So after reading the books, this is what I think is over the horizon:

• Jon Snow is the son of the Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark, and is thus "The Prince that was promised".
  • Prince Aegon, with the Golden Company, is going to create a following for trueborn targaryons, then die, leaving a power vacuum that Danaerys will fill when she finally arrives in Westeros
  • Arya's being groomed to kill somebody, but I'm not sure who yet.
  • The harp is in Lyanna Stark's tomb.
  • Jon Snow may not actually be a bastard.
  • He's going to live, partially because there aren't major enough characters in the Watch to switch to. Also, Melisanderp is loyal to him, in her weird way.
  • I suspect Tyrion is going to end up the head of a mercenary company, possibly going to reclaim Casterly Rock with that company, and possibly going to end up on the back of a dragon.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »