• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

64 Replies - 7224 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Game of Thrones

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

At first I thought Littlefinger was lying to Sansa about having been the one to kill Joffrey, to get her to like him. But do we know for sure that he was? This wedding really was the perfect opportunity to kill Joffrey, maybe they both really did poison him at once.

The funny thing is (if I'm understanding this correctly), Olena smuggled her poison in Sansa's hairpin, and Littlefinger smuggled his poison in Sansa's necklace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:07 AM

That's a slight editorial adjustment between the book and the series. In the book, it was in a hairpiece that Sansa wore. In the TV series, it was on a necklace.

Littlefinger and Granny Tyrell certainly worked together to poison Joffrey. Littlefinger got the poison, and got it to Sansa via the drunk ex-knight. Granny Tyrell knew about the necklace, and slipped one of the beads from it while 'adjusting' it and talking to Sansa.

Oh, and I would like to correct a mistake made in my previous explanation to what happened. In the books, the poison was put into his goblet. In the TV series, it now seems that Granny Tyrell poisoned the pie. Joffrey cuts it, Granny Tyrell takes a slice, then turns to Margary and hands it to her. She then feeds it to Joffrey, who promptly turns purple. When Granny Tyrell takes the pie and turns to Margary, there is a brief moment where her back is to everyone. More than enough time to slip something into the dish. Especially something tiny that you already have palmed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

An interesting change. I still haven't watched any Season 4 episodes. Yesterday my housemate comes up like "Is Tyrion going to [probably spoilers]?!" I laughed and explained what happens to him. But he doesn't care about spoilers, I explain anything he asks about and he still enjoys the show.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:49 AM

I have a theory about what will happen to Tyrion, but I'll spoiler tag it in case people haven't read the books yet.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

Agreed, but I still think there will be dragons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Not really a spoiler, but I think everybody's overlooking something here.

The Tyrells are richer than the Lannisters.

See, the Tyrell family's seat is Highgarden, the main center for agricultural production in an agrarian society with decades-long winter famines. The value of food skyrockets ever dozen or so years; and they've sat on this and profited. The Lannisters, meanwhile, control the mining of gold; by definition, if they were to spend a lot at once, it would inflate the price and their buying power would disappear.

So the real genius of Tywin, as a military commander, isn't in propping up the throne with his gold; that's a terrible move that he has no choice but to make because of Robert's uprising and his own revenge against the mad king has left him in the position of having no choice. The real genius of Tywin is fully leveraging characters- like Clegane- that are more than capable of supporting their army by ransom and pillage, rather than by centralized supply. It's an evil move, but it's the smartest move, and the great pains taken to distance himself from Cleganes actions are also a smart move. If only he'd get past the death of his wife and stop blaming his son; but, like the opportunity he took at fucking the Mad King over (at the expense of the seven kingdoms, and the actual crown prince that he'd wanted to marry Cersei to- Rhaegar), his intelligence and bottled up emotions and unavoidable emotionally directed actions will be his downfall.

The fatal flaw of the Lannisters, therefore, is that their emotional impulses eventually get the better of them. Cersei, for example, is popularly called a sociopath; but she fails to exhibit the traditional pathology of a sociopath. Notably, she is intensely emotional and protective of her children; she is manipulative and domineering with everyone she can use, including Robert, Tywin, and Jaime; and of the people she can't use, she seeks to keep away from the people she can (such as trying to drive a wedge between Tyrion and Jaime). Finally, her emotional interpretation keeps her from having a firm grasp on reality; her emotions towards Tyrion keep her from seeing him as anything but evil, for example. So all of these combined leave us with a new diagnosis: Borderline Personality Disorder, or, in other words, the exact opposite of sociopathy.

The Tyrells, meanwhile, can afford to bide their time; they know that the only choice anyone has is to buy what they're selling or starve, and I don't think they'll be above responding to the laws of supply and demand.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

I must admit, that is one of the conflicts I'm most looking forward to in the future. Daenerys against Margary for control of Westeros.

Although, it will be a sad day when the battle is over, because it will undoubtedly mean one or the other of them is dead, and they are the two most attractive queens in the show.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostChoscura, on 14 May 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

snip

Yes to everything.

Funny, I don't hang out in asoiaf forums or really talk about it except here and occasionally when it crops up on Reddit but I don't go to r/asoiaf either. Anyway...point being I've never heard Cersei called a sociopath. When I read that I was like "no, she's totally BPD" - then I laughed when you got to that.

So yes on everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Man what i hate the most about game of thrones is that in the end of every season a nice guy is murdered...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

bwahaha oh man...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

I don't twit but, I loved the comments that Pedro Pascal twatted. After the episode aied he posted "Ouch" then the next morning he was like "I shit you not, I can't get rid of this headache."

I hope some of the other actors do stuff like that. It amuses me to no end.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

That scene was rougher than what I envisioned when reading the books. Damn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

That one didn't make me happy. I wanted Oberyn to win. Also, George RR Martin totally missed an opportunity. He should have said:

"Hello, my name is Oberyn Martell. You raped my sister. You murdered her. You killed her children. Prepare to die."
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First