9 Replies - 1971 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I need help choosing career path and whether to use Python 2 or 3

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I really hope I'm posting in the right forum/sub-forum. I have been all over the web looking for information to decide whether I'm going to begin as a programmer with python 2.x or python 3.x. All I've found is that you should decide based on what you will use most. I don't know what I'll be using most or even what I'll be creating.

I do indeed have a personal interest and goals in becoming a programmer, but first comes profit, I can code as a hobby on my off-time and once I learn my way around the world of coding I'm sure I'll later have a better idea of how I want to combine personal interest with career work. So for now I'd like to ask what you believe the most profitable field is. I'd prefer whatever will most likely land a "from home" job so I can work from anywhere (freedom, creativity and change are very important for me). I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling stationary in my work, in fact I'll sacrifice profit for such a position.

I suppose first I would like to know what field you'd recommend and then I'd like to know which version of python would be best to start with for said field.

I'm choosing python for my first language because I hear it can be used for just about anything and because it's quick and light.

Any input appreciated, thanks alot :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I need help choosing career path and whether to use Python 2 or 3

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I need help choosing career path and whether to use Python 2 or 3

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Let's move this to the Corner Cubicle for better discussion.

All I've found is that you should decide based on what you will use most. I don't know what I'll be using most or even what I'll be creating.

Have you looked at the relevant jobs in your area? I'd use that to make a decision. Python is great, but if you live in a Java town, you should know Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

If you know python 2, you'll have no problem using python3, and if you're going to work in python, you'll need to be able to work in both. This isn't like I suggest you work in python 2 for now, since the library development in python 2 is still stronger, at least the last I checked. But really, the differences are not that significant in terms of your regular programming. They're just enough to make it a little annoying to swap from one to the other on the fly, so pick one and stick with it until you're comfortable with it.

As for your career path, find something you enjoy doing - not something you think you might enjoy doing, but something you do, and want to do more of. Get good at that, and do it, and be happy.

@mac - is there such a thing as "a java town"? I never heard of such a thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Richmond is a .NET town. I'm just making a point. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm so anal with making the best choices that I've spent over a month preparing for my adventure into coding. I've finally found a book I want to learn from as it covers the fundamentals and not just the language:

python programming book6

This is an outdated copy of the book, of which I'm using a free copy to learn with. Unfortunately it's outdated...and I don't know to what extent i'm making things more difficult for myself learning from this as it's pretty old and I'm not sure how much i'm missing out on not reading the new edition. Will it really matter at all that I learned from this book?

I figure I'll be more valuable in the job market with more languages, I imagine Java is the most valuable for me to learn, but I feel like python is the best and most comfortable step into this realm. I'm 26 and have never had anything close to a passion till now and I don't wanna screw this up by over complicating it all and losing willpower just to do entry level work and have my family leave me due to financial stress.

I might be ignorant...but I can't find any option to edit my post. In any case, here's the link to the book I screwed up:

My link
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

The most important thing is to get in there and do it. Do one thing - don't try to learn more than one language at a time, for example - and make sure that what you're doing is on a long-term path. For example, if you get a book, work through it the whole way, do all the the work in it, learn everything in it, and don't get sidetracked. There's a lot of shiny things in your path, but if you stop to pick them up, you'll never get more than ten feet down the road.

Like any language that's actually in use, python changes continuously in small ways. When you get to the end of this book, you might find that some things have changed - that's fine, you'll just learn those things the same way you'll learn any future changes. Just part of the game. Don't get tangled up trying to do this perfectly. There are only things you have to do now. The first is, start. The second is, continue.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Jon. I guess I'll stick with this book, if it's an easy transition I'd rather transition from standard to new than new to standard.

Just so I'm not wasting time I'm happy. (Funny, as I waste my time avoiding wasting time)

Python 2 it is.

Any input on career options? I'm willing to move as far as what's in demand. I'm in the DFW metroplex in Texas. I remember reading about mobile app development (or was it android development?) being a growing and in-demand field, what do you think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

I think if you're interested in android, you want to reconsider python and look into java. Android programming is mostly done in java. I believe it's possible to work in other languages, but you'll find the most support as a beginner if you go with Java.
Again, your best bet is to learn to write programs, and find the thing that most grabs you, and pursue that. You'll certainly find that you're surprised by where you end up, but employers are most pleased to find someone who's enthusiastically pursuing something that makes them giddy with delight. Then they'll offer you work doing something else, and you might just say to yourself "gosh, that sounds neat, too", and take it. Or else, as in my case, you might find that the company is interesting enough and the people inspiring enough that you go ahead and do something that you wouldn't otherwise be interested in. That's how I wound up in my current gig, doing web stuff mostly in PHP - which is definitely not my area of expertise, and not my language of choice. The people and the pay and the project make it worth while.
There are interesting problems everywhere. Your task is to find a set of problems that you're interested in, and those problems will teach you how to work on any other problems you encounter. Stop dithering and start learning. It's more fun to write code than it is to worry about what code you want to write.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Any input on career options? I'm willing to move as far as what's in demand. I'm in the DFW metroplex in Texas. I remember reading about mobile app development (or was it android development?) being a growing and in-demand field, what do you think?

What do the jobs in your area ask for? Are they iOS jobs? Are they Android jobs? Are they .NET jobs? Career wise, hit on the technologies being asked. Android definitely isn't a bad bet, and so Java is a better option than Python, as Jon advised.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

I did a little research on android programming with python and found that it's very doable, just a lot of people aren't aware of what's needed to make it work. I guess what I should be asking is if it's possible to use more than 1 language to code a program, I've just read so many comments and praise like "Everyone here uses python any chance they get", it's hard not to be enthusiastic about starting here. I've also read a lot of complaints about having to use other languages in place of python. If I find that android dev or app development is where the money and growth is but that I won't have any opportunity to use python as all the big wigs demand java, then I suppose I'll save python for later.

I'm not even sure where I'd look to see what's asked for in my area. I'm as new as can get to all of this lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1