1 Replies - 1257 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming Contract Work?

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

Hi, I'm not sure if this is an acceptable post for this forum. I'm an intern with a company, I have another internship with a different company starting in about 6 weeks. Company A wants to hire me on a contract basis to finish up some projects I've been doing during my stay here. I commute 1 1/2 hours to this place, everyday. They offered to come in part-time while working full-time at my other internship( I also work part time at another job from home), to finish up a project and/or start some new ones.

They hinted at paying a few dollars more currently I make a couple less than 13 an hour. I also can not work from home, for all billable hours I must be present at the company. It costs at least 25-30 dollar round trip for the commute.

My question is, are they taking advantage of my intern status to get cheap labor? I would consider doing this if I didn't have to commute, but with the commute this is hardly worth it.

What do you think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming Contract Work?

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming Contract Work?

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

Of course they are taking advantage of your intern status to get cheap labor. If they weren't they wouldn't hire an intern, they would demand 3 years experience and wouldn't even talk to you.

You're going to have to "pay your dues" until you get the experience other employers want. If you've got a lot of offers, you can be picky and make demands of them.

The prettiest girl at the ball doesn't ask guys to dance with her, she rejects them because she can. If you have what's in demand, you can set the terms of the deal. If you don't, you have to accept what you can get. Fortunately, experience and knowledge are not things that you are born with, but rather things you can aquire. One way to aquire them is to work under less than ideal conditions as an intern or entry level job.

So, the question is what does this give you? If you can keep on working as an intern, and earn the same money, then maybe it gives you nothing. If your internship is ending, or if you need the money, or if it gives you actual job experience rather than just "I was an intern for a year.", then maybe its worth it. If it puts you in a better position to look for the next job, then take it for 6 months or a year and then keep looking while you're employed.

There are places on the internet where you can pretty much figure out how much you're worth based on what positions you are qualified to fill. With little experience, you're going to be at the bottom of that range. But it may be worth accepting indentured servitude in order to add something like experience to your resume. After 6 months or 12 months you can claim that experience on your resume and keep looking for something else.

If your situation is that you continue working for the old internship as a paid contractor, while accepting another internship, you need to make sure the other internship is okay with demands on your time and possible conflicts of interest. Otherwise, it sounds to me like being a paid contractor for basically the same money, even part time, looks better on a resume than just a bunch of internships regardless of how much it pays. That's worth considering anyway. But yes, they're going to take advantage of you until you've got the experience to make demands.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 14 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1