• « First

102 Replies - 8584 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

#91 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

I like the ripple effect on most of the keyboards I've seen that have it. The customization sounds really cool too. My keyboard will be here in the next couple days, I'm really excited about it, and will post some pictures :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#92 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

That sounds really cool BetaWar. I'd probably set up the same ripple (for a few days until typing in the dark drives me nuts enough to turn it off).

Yeah, MX Reds are an adjustment. I personally never learned how to type without bottoming out, but that would be a major gear change for me. I type very firmly (people have accused me of abusing my laptop; I've had the hard drive brake come on from typing alone), so it's a hard change. But luckily for me, Topre switches seem designed to bottom on, so I'm pretty happy using them.

Reds aren't my favorite switch, but they're great for gaming. Light and springy. I prefer MX Browns or Clears for a great typing experience. Blues are another favorite for typing, but they click a lot. BTW, the sound your Reds make is the plunger striking the bottom of the switch. If you do learn how to type without bottoming out completely, it will be a very quiet keyboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#93 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Here is a pic of the new keyboard :D Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#94 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Neato. I didn't realize just how many companies were jumping on the rainbow mechanical switches. How do you find the Razer switches? Have you used the Cherry variant they copied? If so, how does it compare? Also, some pics with the lights on!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

I use the BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth and love it. Never liked that I could not change the blue backlight, might have to look into that new colorful version.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#96 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Gunner if you look on the razer website you can find a program called Synapse 2.0 it may allow you to change the backlight, if not they have a keyboard called Anansi which is a bit cheaper than the chroma which is $170, I'll post pictures, or maybe a link to a video on my facebook later today of all the different light pattern combinations.

As for the use, I love it. It's my second mechanical keyboard the first one being the anansi. I got the non-stealthed version because I like the sound of the clicking. It's extremely responsive, it has a USB port on the side, along with an audio in and audio out port. The only downside is that it takes 2 USB ports to use, and if you want to use the ports on the side of the keyboard it also will take up your audio in and audio out ports on your rig. I've never used cherry reds, so I can't really speak to that, but I will tell you that I have no reason to get a different keyboard for a very long time :bananaman:

Also Every single key on the keyboard is re-programmable, and you can set macros to any key. Also with the razer synapse 2.0 software you can get heatmaps of the keys you press during a gaming session. The results tell you how far your fingers traveled during the session, how much pressure you exerted, and how many times a key was pressed on a per key basis. For instance during a 28 minute SMITE match I did 2634 keystrokes, my fingers moved a total of 60.4 feet, which is measure by how far a key goes down and back up, not the length of the stride of your finger from 1 key to another, and I exerted 90 some pounds of force total
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

The last time I was at Best Buy they had the Ultimates on display. After playing on it I want one. Relatively cheap, but very nice. I think I will have to forego wanting the wireless feature if I want the mechanical switches.

A finger workout chart is next! "how many reps can your index finger do?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#98 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

Yeah I bought Chelsea the black widow ultimate I saw on display at BestBuy, it wasn't nearly as expensive lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#99 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

The last time I was at Best Buy they had the Ultimates on display. After playing on it I want one. Relatively cheap, but very nice. I think I will have to forego wanting the wireless feature if I want the mechanical switches.

They're actually considered about "mid-priced" when it comes to cherry/cherry-clone boards. Their website has them listed at about $130. Functionally speaking, a CoolerMaster Quickfire (tons of variants of this with different switches and options) is no different, it just doesn't have the green glowy Razer graphics, but it does have actual Cherry switches. I have one w/ Cherry MX Greens at home, and it cost me less than $90 new.

This isn't to discourage anyone from buying Razer; the wonderful thing about Mechs is that there's a keyboard for any taste. I just want to point out that there are options just as good for less money, especially now that Razer is using their own switches.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

Based on Curtis's comment on Cool Master I found this tester. I know it is something I will be getting, because I don't know what switch really suites my taste. Figured others my like it, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#101 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Switch testers are pretty neat. I've never gotten one, just picked what I thought I'd like and went with it. I can share my opinions on the individual switches though:

Red: Not my cup of tea. Light and linear, there is no click or bump to let you know where the actuation point is. The point of these switches is for gaming. Light touch plus fast return. Regular typing isn't as comfortable to me, but there are many people who use these switches as their primary keyboard, gaming and typing.

Black: Never owned a board with them, but they're basically heavy reds. Harder to actuate, but they return even faster than reds. Mainly for gaming. The idea is that with no bump or click, you can "float" on a key (pressing it rapidly without bottoming out or returning all the way to the top) for games that require rapid button presses.

Blue: Typist's pleasure. Light, but heavier than Reds. Both a loud click and a bump on the downstroke indicating where the key actuates. Annoying to coworkers or other occupants of the room, but usually pleasant to the one doing the typing. Not the best for gaming, but I've used them and they work just fine for it.

Green: Heavy blues. Very heavy. Seriously, I'm a hard typist (people accuse me of abusing my laptop with how hard I type on it), but these switches can give me fatigue if I don't use o-rings. Also louder, if that's possible. The "click" is a different tone.

Brown: My personal favorite. Jack of all trades, master of none. Medium weight, tactile bump but no click, so much quieter than blues/greens. It's pretty much an all-around switch. I have two Poker IIs with Cherry MX Browns in them.

Clear: Heavy browns. Also never owned a board with clears, because boards that use them are fairly rare. The only one I can think of that's easy to get is the CODE by WASDKeyboards, but it's expensive. Considering how much I like browns and how hard I type, this should be the Cherry switch for me, but at this point I've moved on to Topre switches.

Hope that's useful for someone.

Side note: All of these switches will be louder than your normal rubber dome keyboard. You won't really hear it from a tester, but even the Red/Black switches will make noise, because of the plunger striking the bottom of the switch when you're typing at full speed. So when I say one switch is quieter, it's because it doesn't have any added noise like the clicking that the blue/green switches have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#102 ybadragon  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

I didn't know the differences between the switches, so thank you for that. I completely spaced needing to take pictures of my different keyboard light settings, so I will do that tonight when I get home :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#103 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

FYI, the colors on the Razer switches don't correspond to the Cherry switches. I believe Razer makes green and orange, seemingly blue and brown clones respectively. Never used them myself, so I couldn't say the differences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First