• +
  • « First

157 Replies - 12900 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

#151 depricated  Icon User is online

• Conversion Software Version 7.0

• View blog

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

I've never made a study of typing. I know how I type, I know I average 80wpm and can get up to 140wpm if I'm concentrating and using Dvorak, but I have no idea what an LMT is - and google just tells me Lockheed Martin, nor what a Key Chord is - and that all I can think of is music related
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

LMT = Licensed Massage Therapist - the person who makes your back work again when you screw it up by typing too much or with bad form. (also good for repetitive strain problems, such as ulnar nerve issues, which are a particular specialty of mine)
"Key chord" is when you have two fingers on one hand pressing keys. Generally a bad idea, unless it's something like CTRL-ALT, which don't require any contortion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#153 depricated  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

Ah, gotcha.

I dunno, I've always contributing my back problems to my weight, not my typing. I don't know how I'd differentiate what problems come from where...but I type pretty comfortably.

For key chords, I can see what you mean but I can't really think of any time where I'd need to hit two keys at once, or do you mean two different fingers going for the same key, like occasionally S with ring and occasionally S with middle?

I just treat the keyboard like any other instrument. Clarinet, oboe, saxophone, guitar, piano, keyboard - they're all the same. The fingerings are different, and I'm using the keyboard to make words instead of sounds, but the premise is the same. Move your fingers into position to hit the next note while you finish the one you're on.

I dunno. I have a lot of digital dexterity, but I don't contort my hands into weird shapes for it (also why I suck at guitar). I've never had pain from typing too much that I know of - guitar is the only thing I play with (well, other than myself) that requires weird hand shapes, and I avoid those, which is why I suck at guitar.

So yea...I dunno. Can you elaborate? When might I be doing this, or how can I watch to see if I'm typing weird?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

In short, your pinky should rest on (and be oriented to) the A in a QWERTY layout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

Can you elaborate? When might I be doing this, or how can I watch to see if I'm typing weird?

Probably the worst anti-pattern in my typing is hitting, for example, CTRL-X-S with my left hand instead of using two hands. This is an emacs key combination (saves the current file) and you do it a lot - probably not harmful once in a while, but over time it seems to me to cause all sorts of bad in my hands, my ulnar nerve, and my left shoulder.
But honestly, typing capital letters one-handed can be just as bad. At this point, I try to make sure I always hit those with two hands, or use the caps lock if I'm typing a NAMED_CONSTANT

Your mileage may vary, but this has helped me a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#156 depricated  Icon User is online

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

Interesting. I've never really paid attention to which shift key I'm using but now I'm being cognizant of it. I think I tend to use the left shift more.

Now I want to record my hands while I type and see what kind of bad habits I might have in my form heh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

Figure some folks might be interested to see that keyboardio has launched their kickstarter. It's a bit spendy, but it looks pretty cool. Tempted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 15 June 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Figure some folks might be interested to see that keyboardio has launched their kickstarter. It's a bit spendy, but it looks pretty cool. Tempted.

That looks shockingly like an ErgoDox:

Posted Image

Prettier though.

Edit: didn't see it was including RGB switches. I didn't even realize Matias (they're using Matias Quiet-Click alps clones). I didn't know they made RGB switches. Neat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First