• +
  • Last »

120 Replies - 10004 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

I have had my eye on mechanical keyboards for the past few months. The biggest problem I am running into is being able to try one before I buy. Sure lots of computer places around here have the typical logitechs etc on display and you can type on them to get a feel, but no mechanicals to be found. I think I would probably want to go something like the MX browns, but I just don't know until I get to touch one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

This might be of use then:

http://www.wasdkeybo...ampler-kit.html

It includes the four "common" switches (red, blue, brown, black), and samples of their keycaps and o-rings. IDK how much it is to ship (or where you live) but it's not a bad option for anyone on the fence. Doesn't really give you a good idea of how a full keyboard would feel, but you can imagine from each switch.

Browns are by far my favorite, so you're already on the right track :P But anyway, it really is a preference thing. Blues are great too. I'm typing this on my keyboard with reds, which IMO aren't great, but are still a mile better than membrane. They are great for gaming, but not so much for typing, too easy to bottom out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

I still remember the keyboards from the first computers. They were mechanical and they were great. Nothing beats the feedback and the clickity clack of the keys. Then came along the membrane keyboards, took a while to get used to, but they suck. When I built my box 2 years ago, I spent the money on a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth, and I love it. The feed back from the keys, the noise, the feel, and the backlit keys are a plus. Will never go back to a membrane keyboard. If I have to do work on someones computer, I always bring my keyboard along.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

I admit my keyboard is marginally louder than everyone else's , but I don't think my clickity-clack is any more annoying than the cloppity-clop of membrane keyboards. They sound like muffled recordings of spastic horses on cobblestone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

This has piqued my interest for my development computer build. I did find this site, for those interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Heh.. the local bestbuy has a 'Corsair - Vengeance K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Black' for sale ($10 off) for 119.99. I thought about grabbing one because of this thread, but figured I could not do with the red leds. ewwww.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I'm pretty interested in checking out one of the CODE keyboards when they become available with the clears. They say early April on the site, so I'm hoping for an update soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

I have one with Greens. It's a very nice keyboard, but I'm just not that big a fan of Greens. Too heavy, causes hand fatigue. But the board itself is great. Very nice looking, solidly built.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Oh yes, definitely prefer the mechanical. I have 4 of them back from when we had a bunch of Ambra computers (back when they were a part of IBM) When we started moving to Windows machines (From OS/2) I snatched them up. Of course a few of us still used them on the windows machines there at work so I didn't get them all but the ones I have I will cherish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Do you remember what make/model the keyboards were? Deskthority might have some interesting information about them, like what kind of switches it uses.

Also, for anyone thinking about buying, I'll mention /r/mechanicalkeyboards again. They're very friendly to newbies, and have a great wiki linked in the sidebar. And I promise, you'll discover options you never considered. A lot of the best/coolest keyboards come from Asia, so brands like Noppoo, KBC, Filco, and Leopold you might miss out on if you didn't know about them. My favorite right now is from KBC (linked in the first post). I never would have heard about them or thought about getting a keyboard shipped from China, but I'm extremely pleased with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Yeah.. but if memory serves me - those keyboards are missing a whole mess of keys, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Some are, some aren't. The one I use is a 60%, so yes, it's missing the other 40% of the keys. Actually, I just counted. My keyboard has 61 keys. (Makes sense, since a 100% has 104/105 depending on ANSI/ISO layout). But some of them make full-sizes as well. Example of Filco fullsize.

Ducky is another good example of a Chinese company that makes great keyboards (and many of theirs are full size). The Shine 3 is pricey and gaudy, but some of their other ones are really nice (Shine 3 is also nice, but again, gaudy).

Just do the research is all I'm saying. Lots of people buy Razers without realizing that there are similar boards for less, or boards with better features for a similar price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I recently bought a Corsair Vengeance K60 with MX Reds. I didn't really know what to expect as I had never used (or remember using) a mechanical keyboard but I do notice and prefer the difference.

My keyboard is designed more towards gaming, as it comes with red angled WASD and 1-6 keys. Although, I'm not a hardcore gamer, I do appreciate the feel and solid nature of the keys and the board itself for the time that I do make to have a gaming session.

The price was a bit of a sting as I am a cheapskate with peripherals and never pay over 20 for them but I'm glad I made the switch.

I was aware that there are multiple keyboards from the same/similar manufacturers that give added extras like illuminated keyboards and macro keys, I felt none of those extras applied to my needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Corsairs are pretty nice. I personally think that some of them go a bit far on the "bling" side of things, but their mechanics are definitely cool.

I just got myself another Poker II for home. Actually, I'm switching them, taking the one I had at work home, and using this one at work. I put custom blank keycaps (thick PBT plastic, DSA profile, textured tops) on it and I think it looks really good:

Posted Image

The middle caps are gray, but they're coming out a bit tan in that photo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Again - the lack of distinct number pad, arrow keys, insert->page down set, and printscreen-> pause weirds me out.

Weirdo.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »