2 Replies - 160 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

CS or IMS

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

I would like to learn the difference (such as career options) between these two different majors. Although I read the handbooks of each these majors, I am still confused. I cannot decide which one I should choose. Would it be difficult for someone to major in IMS if he or she does not know much about business and management? What I am personally looking for is a major which focuses on programming and math since I love math and programming and I feel like I am good at both. But I am afraid of failing if I choose CS since people say it is a very difficult major.

What type of differences do you think are there? Which type of person chooses which major?

Computer Science Handbook

IMS (Information Systems and Management Handbook)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CS or IMS

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CS or IMS

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

You take classes to learn more or how to do something. Do you want to manage, or do you want to program? The main focus of one is primarily different from the other. If you want to program go with a programesc degree;cs, information systems , something along those lines. Several colleges require a business minor with a cs major.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CS or IMS

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

It is completely up to you, but I would personally choose CS if you are a math and computer person. If you know anything about programming going in to college you will already be ahead of many of the others in your major.

Now, I would expect that the IMS side will just go over the basic of programming and technical stuff (skimming the top) while delving more into the business side of things, almost like a fast track into management for a technical company -- teaching you enough about programming so you can understand what people are talking about while at the same time not being able to program much yourself. NOTE - I don't know for sure, and I could be off, but this is what I would expect from the IMS side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1